Heaven and Hell Records joins SOPA blackout

Just so everyone is clear: I would never vote for myself as president. I'm too liberal for my own tastes.

Hah - and I am slightly more reactionary than Genghis Khan, so I'd vote for someone other than myself - you and I have GOT to grab a beer sometime so we can politely agree to disagree on everything!

Fair enough. I wasn't necessarily contesting the legality of selling games back (although I do contest the legality of Gamestop's existence in the first place, but that's neither here nor there), so much as I was saying that IP creators pretty much have the right to do what they can to prevent you from selling the game. Like I said, I never said that you're not allowed to trade in games or buy used content (I only asserted that technically, license agreements protect companies from that practice). I just said that I personally don't partake in it/don't agree with it.

Fair enough as well. On this point, I will agree to disagree. I personally finding the whole issue of the game developer/publishers attempting to bannish the second-hand market as coming off as sleazy in much the same way the RIAA tried to do the same back in the 90's. To me, it comes off as just another money-grab and just another way to maximize profits (and try to hide behind some very one-sided EULA agreement), at the expense of individual consumer rights.

If you're implying I am for these bills, I'm going to stop right here. I clearly stated otherwise.

Never said this.

I'll apologize on this one and should've been a bit more clear. Those statements was meant to be directed at the whole "pro-SOPA/pro-IP" crowd in general and not meant to be directed at you specificallly. I did see farther up where you were against the SOPA and the like.

It wasn't from me. So don't make it look like it was by only quoting me in your post.

Again, I never said that non-malicious sites like Google should be penalized for something they cannot control. That is why I was against SOPA/PIPA. However, I do think that intentionally malicious sites like Megaupload that make hundreds of millions of dollars off the backs of other people's work SHOULD be penalized.

[/QUOTE]

Again, my apology for the mis-understanding. That was actually directed at a statement that Dustin made farther up and I forgot to go back and quote the relevant part from his post. I think the people reading this got the idea of what I was getting at anyway.

With that whole Megaupload thing, I am actually in agreement that it should've been shutdown. It just also proves that existing statutes and laws are already in place to shut-down the more egregious violators, and that several governments can co-operate to do so (it is in New Zealand where the guy got busted). I just don't see a need for more draconian measures such as SOPA, PIPA, or other similar that may be proposed in the future.

Or people expecting to be paid by Metal fans for digging up and releasing unknown, forgotten demos.

It has been working so far so obviously the fans want it. But hey justify as you will. I see it as stealing from me.
By the way would you like salt and pepper on that self-righteous foot?
Ammo001.jpg

So, lots of rumors about the next Microsoft console have been popping up lately. It's going under the name 'Xbox 720,' a terrible if not logical next step. I'm sure that's just the code name until release.

But, yeah, used stuff. Anyone wanna take a guess at one of the more controversial features MS's next cash cow is rumored to have? I'll give you a hint: it's something you can't do and it involves playing used games.

For those just tuning in, here are the game highlights!

It appears that there varying opinions on this matter concerning the SOPA/PIPA bill.... (although most wish there wasn't)

a.) anti-SOPA /anti-censorship/government. The mass majority (regardless of reading the bills or not) feels this is a very serious issue that threatens creative freedom and on the internet, would break the chain in DNS protocol and cause security risks, allow corporate giants in the entertainment industry to shut down legitimate domestic sites without due process, and will not stop nor work as a deterrent for online piracy. The problem is not with the internet and those who control and/or distribute content on it via search engines, social network sites, IP providers or advertisers ect., the problem is with the content creators who needs to find a different avenue to protect their assets, and generate revenue without relying on draconian measures and out-dated, over-abused and archaic copy right laws. Bottom line - The internet shouldn't be censored, blocked, or regulated in any manner, for any reason, due to the outcry of minority intellectual property owners within the United States.

b.) middle ground - a small handful who share the same opinion on censorship/government intervention as the mass majority, but generally feel that it's due to the bills being too broad in language, and the primary concern is that these bills could be abused by corporate conglomerates with vested financial interests in the long run. This small group also feels that piracy is actually a real problem and that content creators should be compensated for their intellectual property as they always have, that something needs to be done, and that a revision in the bills language could be a possible solution, or go with an another alternative that does not involve government intervention.

c.) pro-SOPA/PIPA - that would just be little ol' me. With that being the case, rather than re-type my explanations from the previous posts that got washed in the flood, I'll supply these fun and exciting links.

...this one because I know everyone here likes fact-check references and stats :)

http://creativeamerica.org/media/uploaded/resources/33_1326943502_Google_Fact_Check.pdf

http://judiciary.house.gov/news/12142011 SOPA.html

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/per...almusicnews+(Digital+Music+News:+Top+Stories)

...pirates, legislators and Google, OH MY!

VIVA LA SOPA! Lol!

You're cute. :wave:

You be a smart-ass if you like but you got called out twice now, both times for being a douche.
Your only response was about me putting out demos, jeez are you 5, why not just say "oh yeah, well your mom is fat".

By the way I did not say it was you, you kinda of handle that yourself. So should I send you an invoice? (rhetorical) Damn man you are a class act,
Ok now I'm done with this.

You be a smart-ass if you like but you got called out twice now, both times for being a douche.
Your only response was about me putting out demos, jeez are you 5, why not just say "oh yeah, well your mom is fat".

By the way I did not say it was you, you kinda of handle that yourself. So should I send you an invoice? (rhetorical) Damn man you are a class act,
Ok now I'm done with this.

:wave: Have fun storming the castle.

[c.) pro-SOPA/PIPA - that would just be little ol' me. With that being the case, rather than re-type my explanations from the previous posts that got washed in the flood, I'll supply these fun and exciting links.]

Dont worry Dustin, I am in your little tiny group
:D

c.) pro-SOPA/PIPA - that would just be little ol' me. With that being the case, rather than re-type my explanations from the previous posts that got washed in the flood, I'll supply these fun and exciting links.

...this one because I know everyone here likes fact-check references and stats :)

http://creativeamerica.org/media/uploaded/resources/33_1326943502_Google_Fact_Check.pdf

http://judiciary.house.gov/news/12142011 SOPA.html

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/per...almusicnews+(Digital+Music+News:+Top+Stories)

...pirates, legislators and Google, OH MY!

VIVA LA SOPA! Lol!

I've read those links and still does not convince me! I still find SOPA and PIPA and similar to be complete and utter bullshit that is not needed. In fact, a lot of that I've read in those links came off to me as just a bunch of pissing and moaning because their precious little SOPA bill pretty much ended up getting torpedoed.

Also to add: With the above said, I will admit that I am somewhat in agreement with the last one concerning Megaupload. Again, this whole Megaupload thing only shows to prove that existing laws do work in shutting down that kind of stuff. I just don't see adding even more draconian measures such as SOPA will help with anything.

DOWN WITH SOPA! LET IT CRASH AND BURN IN FLAMES!