Heaven and Hell Records joins SOPA blackout

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
To all of our loyal customers and supporters.
After some consideration, Jeremy and I will be participating in the SOPA blackout on January 18, 2012. Both www.heavenandhellrecords.com and www.soundsofpurgatory.com will be down during the blackout and will begin functioning again at 8pm.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience, but sometimes, you just have stand for something. We do not support fascism in any form.

Jamie Mobley
Jeremy Golden
Heaven and Hell Records

Congress is about to vote on the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). If passed, this bill will allow the United States government to censor the Internet.

http://downagainstsopa.com/takeaction.php

If you ask me, all this SOPA black out stuff is kind of ridiculous considering that YESTERDAY congress indefinitely suspended voting until a consensus is met and the White House said it would veto it.

True but PIPA is still very much alive, and is very similar to SOPA....
I think PIPA is an internet kill switch in my opinion....They need to find other ways to fight piracy, and PIPA is not the answer.

If you ask me, all this SOPA black out stuff is kind of ridiculous considering that YESTERDAY congress indefinitely suspended voting until a consensus is met and the White House said it would veto it.

That is not the point at all. This is only to show that there is a lot of people behind this cause. And as for congress stopping this well that is a simple a strategic move on congress' part to to get attention away from the issue. It is a tempory retreat to in attempt to future blindside.

True but PIPA is still very much alive, and is very similar to SOPA....
I think PIPA is an internet kill switch in my opinion....They need to find other ways to fight piracy, and PIPA is not the answer.

Ah yeah, I forgot about PIPA. For sure.

Plus, who knows if somebody will try to resurrect the SOPA or try to introduce other legislation that is similar. And believe me, they will try to resurrect this or similar legislation. There is just to much money in it and the RIAA/MPAA has some deep pockets to spend on all that lobbying.

However, in the very unlikely event that either actually made it to law (I have a feeling that PIPA will eventually get killed in the house as well), I wonder how quickly it will be challenged in court on constitutional grounds. There are many already saying that this all flies directly into the face of the 1st amendment and would most likely get shut-down and nullified by the Supreme Court had it been passed.

I personally support all these blackouts and all the anti-SOPA/PIPA movements. I love this quote from Cory Doctrow, the guy that basically runs the "Boing Boing" site:

Boing Boing could never co-exist with a SOPA world: we could not ever link to another website unless we were sure that no links to anything that infringes copyright appeared on that site. So in order to link to a URL on LiveJournal or WordPress or Twitter or Blogspot, we’d have to first confirm that no one had ever made an infringing link, anywhere on that site. Making one link would require checking millions (even tens of millions) of pages, just to be sure that we weren’t in some way impinging on the ability of five Hollywood studios, four multinational record labels, and six global publishers to maximize their profits.

Plus, who knows if somebody will try to resurrect the SOPA or try to introduce other legislation that is similar. And believe me, they will try to resurrect this or similar legislation. There is just to much money in it and the RIAA/MPAA has some deep pockets to spend on all that lobbying.

My thoughts exactly. Though I think it will be slipped by or smoke screened when it happens.

Censorship raising its ugly head in the USA - of all countries - brings kind of surrealistic feeling like "wait a minute, this was not the CCCP" :zombie:

A person alone can't do much, but one way to fight the monster is to join and support the organized resistance

There isn’t an economic Internet and a social Internet and a political Internet.

There’s just the Internet.”

- Hillary Clinton (United States Secretary of State)

Some moneybags need to accept that - or get kicked in the arse! :headbang:

Thanks J. This owns. It's nice to see you doing this.

Also, Chris Dodd is a bought and paid for asshole.

http://mpaa.org/resources/c4c3712a-7b9f-4be8-bd70-25527d5dfad8.pdf

By Indefinitely, you mean next month?

As for SOPA, it's hardly dead—as some news outlets claimed this weekend. While House Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) has expressed reservations about bringing the bill to a vote without "consensus," House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith (R-TX) is moving ahead with plans to mark up SOPA and move it out of committee. The most controversial bit, DNS blocking of "rogue" sites, will be removed from the bill.

Ah yeah, I forgot about PIPA. For sure.

This is the biggest problem. A lot of people don't even know PIPA exists.

My thoughts exactly. Though I think it will be slipped by or smoke screened when it happens.

I like this article that I found on ZDNET and explains EXACTLY why we must continue to fight against this kind of crap coming from the big money labels, studios and such that seem to care more about maximizing their profits and limiting the basic freedoms of the American (and the world at large) public:

5 reasons why SOPA, PROTECT-IP and other legislative idiocy will never die

Sarbanes-Oxley mandates excess record-keeping and, while inconvenient and arguably ineffective, doesn't infringe on our basic constitutional rights.

I was making a broader comment on Doctrow's quote, above. Setting aside basic constitutional rights (which corporations do not have), the "cost of doing business" factor will force many businesses OUT of business, and chill the water for any new internet based businesses from even coming into existence.

For the sake of protecting the buggy whip manufacturers and livery stable owners, Congress may well be preventing the auto industry from starting up.

we must continue to fight against this kind of crap coming from the big money labels, studios and such that seem to care more about maximizing their profits

I do not believe I have purchased a "Big Money Label" piece of music in over 15 years - What purpose do the big labels serve in today's Internet driven market? Do we need BMI/Columbia/Decca/A&M telling us what is "good" music anymore? With the number of production avenues artists now have, Does someone have to get "signed" to break into music?

It's a Brave New World... and this is just one more piece of protectionist legislation which will have results far exceeding the actual intent.