Heavy Frequency Interview

CladInDarkness

Under A Blackened Sky
Oct 8, 2001
Chicago, Illinois
www.cladindarkness.com
Here is an interview with Heavy Frequency asking Coy a few questions.

http://heavyfrequency.com/archives/columns/ff.php?id=250

Heavy Frequency: What are Coy Scottberg and Clad in Darkness up to at the moment?
Scottberg: Within the last couple of months things have been a bit slow for Clad in Darkness, as our members have been quite busy. I traveled to England in May and June, Brian traveled with his wife to Nova Scotia, and Chris has been busy touring about with his other band Urn. Hopefully within the following weeks we’ll get back on track and writing new material. I’d like to also add, though, that we do have a new forum up at UM.com, which can be found at the following address: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/clad-darkness-452.
HF: How would you describe Clad in Darkness' music?
Scottberg: I think what we have on our MySpace as our mission statement serves well to answer this question. It is, “Clad in Darkness is first and foremost a metal band. However, the conventions that tie one down to a specific mould of doom, black, post, death, or any other type of metal are not of interest to our members. Nor is metal something we strictly adhere to; our listening habits are eclectic and an influence on us: from post-rock to jazz, electronic to the blues, ethnic music, classical of all periods, and anything in between. We are fans of the avant-garde, experimental, and intelligent music and we draw inspiration from several artistic mediums and emotions. It is easier to define what we are not than what we are; we are not subjects of the close-minded confines of the average music world. It is our desire to create music that inspires our listeners, to create open-ended music without self-inflicted limitation. Our quest is boundless.” I must mention though, that our newer material has been what has continued to stray further from the conventional definition of metal.
HF: Who are your primary influences on guitar?
Scottberg: Currently several post-rock/post-metal bands and a lot of black metal have influenced me. These include, for the post-metal/post-rock, bands such as Aurore Rien, The Weak Men, 65daysofstatic, Noise Room, God Speed You Black Emperor, Russian Circles, and others I am surely forgetting. For the black metal, that would include: Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, Weakling, Amesoeurs and Alcest (though that project isn’t black metal per se). Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth always seems to be a constant influence, as is John Haughm and Don Anderson of Agalloch. Others include: Jose Gonzalez, Phennybottoms, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Ms. Regnault, Nick Drake, Garthax, Madeleine Peyroux, and Erik Satie.
HF: What is your opinion of the Midwest underground music scene?
Scottberg: I haven’t been exposed too much to be honest. I’m only familiar with local acts here in Chicago, though I can think of Epicurean who we played with here in Chicago a few months back. I am one of those fellows of the ilk that Europe does metal better than the United States. Chicago does have some great metal bands though; Novembers Doom and Veneficum come to mind. The Midwest is rich in post-rock and post-metal though. Russian Circles and Pelican hail from Chicago and the other band I mentioned earlier, Aurore Rien, was from Milwaukee I believe.
HF: Describe your songwriting process.
Scottberg: It’s a long and slow process. Normally I have the lyrics written for the song first and we try to convey the mood of the piece in the music; it’s normally an organic process where we sit down and just jam until we find something we like. Also, don’t forget that in between any serious practicing there’s tons of goofing off.
HF: What is the biggest sacrifice you have made to play music?
Scottberg: I made a pact with the devil. He wanted my left arm in exchange for musical talents! So I sacrificed my left arm in order to learn to play guitar, which might be the reason we suck so much. All joking aside, I don’t think I’ve ever had to sacrifice anything to play. Maybe homework at some point!
HF: What goals do you have for yourself as a musician?
Scottberg: Just to keep doing what I have all along, write music my band mates and I enjoy. It’s an added pleasure when someone else takes as much interest in our music as we do. It would be nice to use it as a means of self-sufficiency, but I don’t have lofty goals like playing on MTV or driving a Ferrari, that really doesn’t interest me in the slightest.
HF: Who is your favorite band that you have played with locally or nationally? Why?
Scottberg: That’s an extremely tough question. We’ve played with so many great and friendly bands that to name one would be an injustice to the others. I can say that I am looking forward to opening for the Clad in Kazoo Project when they get their act together.
HF: How has Clad in Darkness progressed since its conception?
Scottberg: Well we began writing in 1999, so it has been a long while. It started off as two 14/15 year olds wanting to imitate the bands they loved at the time. As our tastes have changed our music has expanded to fit that. We’ve become better musicians and much more open minded.
HF: Do you have any pre-show rituals?
Scottberg: I’m too nervous to have any pre-show rituals, does shaking in my boots count? Shake once, shake twice, shake three times and I am ready to go. Instead of meditating on my breathing patterns, I’ll concentrate on my shaking patterns. Really I’ll just have a beer or two to help calm my nerves, but also I’m usually just too busy running around and talking to friends to do much.

Lmfao this forum is already stupidly ridiculous <3 .. Partially due to my own antics.. But meh..

By the way.. I expect some cash for my apparent influence on you.