HAMMERFALL!

I may be in the vocal minority on this one, but I'd LOVE to see HF as a headliner or main supporting band at a future PPUSA. HF is one of my favorite metal acts of all time. I know I'm gonna catch some flak for this opinion, but I've loved this band ever since I heard their legendary LoK CD several years back, and it's still my favorite HF disc to this very day! Let the hammer fall!:worship:rock::kickass:

it seems that every metal act is your favorite.:rolleyes:

I've been bored by almost every release from these guys since "Legacy of Kings", and yet I still end up buying them. I'm real concerned now that the lead guitarist is out of the band. Oscar can't get any more caught up into his metal image with the leather and spikes, but without longtime members to help corral his leanings..... Yikes!

I didn't care too much for the last two albums, but I freaking LOVE Renegade. It's by far my favorite of theirs. If there were announced to play ProgPower for me it would be "eh, that's cool I guess" but I wouldn't be jumping up and down.

I didn't care too much for the last two albums, but I freaking LOVE Renegade. It's by far my favorite of theirs. If there were announced to play ProgPower for me it would be "eh, that's cool I guess" but I wouldn't be jumping up and down.

I also really like Renegade. But that might be because it's the first HF album, and the first metal album (outside of nu-metal...ick) I'd ever heard. I think "The Way of the Warrior" is probably one of the best power metal anthems ever. :D

However, my favorite album of their's is Legacy of Kings. If the new album would follow in the footsteps of their first two albums, I'd be pretty darned happy.

Hammerfall (along with Nevermore and Iced Earth) was one of the bands that re-introduced me to Metal, back in 1998, after I had lost track of the genre in my late 20s. I spun Legacy of Kings countless times. I remember being so excited to see that there was a band out there still writing actual Metal. Unfortunately, everything that has followed Legacy of Kings has been flat out awful.

Zod

Considering that they are the first power metal band I ever listened to, I think I would have to go with a hell yeah on this one... hahaha

Hammerfall (along with Nevermore and Iced Earth) was one of the bands that re-introduced me to Metal, back in 1998, after I had lost track of the genre in my late 20s. I spun Legacy of Kings countless times. I remember being so excited to see that there was a band out there still writing actual Metal. Unfortunately, everything that has followed Legacy of Kings has been flat out awful.

Zod

I blame it all on the loss of Patrick Rafling, and they didn't get a good, NAY! a half-way mediocre power metal drummer, to fill his place. They got that Anders JohanSUCK guy to one-foot it through. It degraded them to a mere hard rock band.

Jeremy has said countless times, he'd jump on their kit if they only asked him. Knowing how many times we played all the way back and forth through Legacy of Kings, he'd play the whole album for them without a warmup!

I blame it all on the loss of Patrick Rafling, and they didn't get a good, NAY! a half-way mediocre power metal drummer, to fill his place. They got that Anders JohanSUCK guy to one-foot it through. It degraded them to a mere hard rock band.
I agree that Patrick's departure was huge. But I'm not sure if a great drum line can remedy the sub par songwriting.

Zod

Zod - My story for getting back into metal is similar to yours. I assisted a friend to a Manowar gig in 1997 or 98 or something. Saw a flyer for an Iced Earth gig, and said, "Wow looks like a band who encompasses the spirit of true metal" I first got out of metal around 89, at the birth of the Florida death metal movement. It seemed to me the only thing going on was death or grind.

I then went to Milwaukee Metalfest in 1999 and discovered the whole Norwegian Black Metal scene, and other like-bands.

Anyhow, my curiosity was now peaked about current (at the time) underground metal. The first two bands I purchased discs by were Iced Earth and HammerFall.

I agree that Patrick's departure was huge. But I'm not sure if a great drum line can remedy the sub par songwriting.

Zod

Jesper Stromblad(co-founder of Hammerfall) was contributing as a songwriter at least until Legacy of Kings. I guess that's the reason GTTB and LOK are the best HF albums so far.

it seems that every metal act is your favorite.:rolleyes:
Ap[pearances can be deceiving, my friend.:lol::saint: I like a lot of metal bands, but only really love a select few, and yes, HF is in my Top 20 Metal Bands List, hence making them an artist I dearly love!:worship:kickass::headbang::cool: Any questions?:saint:

I can't believe people were apparently so into Patrik Rafling... I initially thought the posts about that were being sarcastic. I'm not a musician myself by any means, but I always got the impression he was largely an all-speed, low-finesse type of drummer. Anders Johanssen is a much more skilled drummer, who has much more texture to his playing IMO.

Drummers aside, I think it's pretty clear that any musical changes have much more to do with Jesper Stromblad's presence as a songwriter. He left the band before their first album (though I believe he actually performed drums on that disc), but maintained a strong presence in the songwriting for the first 2 albums, then had a diminishing presence after that.

First time I discovered Hammerfall I totally LOVED them, but then in listening to 'em a few times, I got bored and they fell by the wayside for me... But I'm among the folks that got to see them when they toured with Edguy and I've gotta agree - Edguy totally blew them off the stage... The only thing that kinda held my attention during their set was Magnus 'cause he was the one guy who looked like he was enjoying himself onstage... and he's not even with 'em anymore

Unless they could recapture my ears with an outstanding CD, I'm with the 'no's on Atlanta...