heavy guitars... compression on input?

slayer666metalica

Kvlt M3t4l 4 Lyfe
Nov 20, 2009
Hey all, i just had a quick question... i was reading Slipperman's Guide to Heavy Guitars From Hell today, and there was a section about compressing guitars on input.

Now, most of what i have read on here has made it seem as though you should rarely ever need to compress guitars in metal at all.

Slipperman talks about using i think either an Empirical Labs Distressor or 1176, can't remember which of the two--but i'm wondering--where is this benefitting the sound? I know he explains it but to be honest, i don't think i quite understand his explanation... his writing for me is very hard to understand, i'm just simply not as experience in the whole AE world as he is. All i know is i recall that a tube amp as it is, makes such rediculous amounts of square wave recitification that you shouldn't need a compressor at all. Anyone shed some light on this for me?

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html
^there's the original guide if you need reference as to what i'm talking about.

p.s.~~if anyone does have a way of explaining this--i'd love an A/B comparison if anyone has the proper equipment on just how much of a 'difference' this makes on a guitar track, i.e. one sample w/o compression, and one with... or something of the like.

I'm too lazy too read through that stuff again right now, but from what I remember, he was explaining how he does it tracking to tape. Basically he wants to be able to record fairly hot without slamming the tape too hard if the level jumps in spots, so he uses a distressor mainly to tame palm mutes and similar stuff. It's probably been years since I read that thread though, so I might be way off

It's all about control. Despite how compressed they are, most distorted guitars still jump around a lot. You'll lose some notes, or others will be too strong. When you even a guitar track out with additional compression, if done well, you can increase the intelligibility of what is being played even in busy mixes. Envelope controls let you further sculpt the sound, choosing whether you'd like to keep the strength of palm mutes, or subdue them with faster attacks, or whether you want the guitars to duck into the back with longer release, to allow for a really layered production (like what CLA was demoing on that Waves video). Naturally compressed high gain guitars are one thing, but having the compression settings conducive to the mix you're crafting is another thing entirely. Once again, control.

indeed.
i very much like tickling loud guitars with the cla3a to help stop them jumping all over the place

My first post here.

From what I understand, using a compressor before the amp has the benefit of bringing out a lot more of the harmonics/overtones FROM the guitar strings,pickups,body etc into the amp so the guitar sounds richer, thicker and fuller after it has been amplified. Plus there should be a lot more sustain and pinch harmonics should pop out a lot more etc.

Obviously a high gain valve amp will naturally compress the signal but this is making the signal a lot better before it even enters the amp.

Never tried it myself, not really there yet in terms of gear etc, but the theory behind it does make sense.