Parallel Compression on guitars?

Here's the deal. I'm planing to record my band. We're gonna quadripple the rhythm tracks. First pass will contain ordinary sound from the amp that we use on rehearsals and live shows sound with 2 Sm 57 on position 2 and 5. Second pass will contain sound with less gain, less treble, and more middle, also 2 SM57 on the same positions. I'm planning to pan the layers from 100% to 70% on the each side. Can you give an advice how to do panoramas, what signal to 100% and what to 70% and what in between? Also on what signals should I do a compression?
My thought:
First pass position 2 compressed, pan=100% (more punchy)
First pass position 5 not compressed, pan=90% (more boomy)
Second pass position 2 compressed, pan=80% (more punchy)
Second pass position 5 not compressed, pan=70% (more boomy)

What do you think?

Also it some compressor settings would be great regarding compression of guitars.
THANX!:kickass:

CFH 13, some questions.
A thing is not clear for me...you said that he had just one Mono track in PT, that was the result of the combination between the recorded tracks (the two mics) and 1176 parallel comp track and that then he duplicated this mono track etc. and, I suppose, panned left and right.
Is it right?

Did the engineer feel that he didn't need a double (or more) take? Do you know why?
Then did he simply panned the duplicated tracks hard left and right? And the result?

the resukt would be a very narrow and hollow guitar sound. I don't think he just dupliated the tracks

CFH 13, some questions.
A thing is not clear for me...you said that he had just one Mono track in PT, that was the result of the combination between the recorded tracks (the two mics) and 1176 parallel comp track and that then he duplicated this mono track etc. and, I suppose, panned left and right.
Is it right?

Did the engineer feel that he didn't need a double (or more) take? Do you know why?
Then did he simply panned the duplicated tracks hard left and right? And the result?

Nothing was duplicated. Everything was doubled or quaded. My point was that by the time the "guitar sound" got to protools...it was a mono combination of the two mics and the compressed signal SUMMED together. Nothing was recorded separately, it was all combined.

And in response to the 10k questions.....harmonics is right as ahjteam said.

yah i pretty much use parallel compression on nearly everything, although i'm not sure on recording your guitars with slightly less bottem end as i'm sure it would effect the result your getting in the bottem end from the speaker excursion when your palm muting, and compressing half the signal wouldnt really bring it back.

although i'd like to try it out on some of my stuff