Parallel Compression on guitars?

Hmm....even more reason for me to invest in a hardware comp. I'll see how it comes out in the box, but I can definitely understand why he's saying it needs to be outboard. Hopefully it'll work somewhat in a similar fashion.

The idea of dialing the amps a little thin and using the compressed tracks to add the lowend is genius, kinda removes the need for a multiband comp to reduce woofing.

~006
don't think the hardware-comp alone will do it.
as he said, it's the summing as well.
and if you're doing it in the DAW using an outboard-comp watch your phase.

That's pretty interesting and was worth reading. I may give it a shot next time I'm tracking guitars and see how the 1176 takes it, or hell even a Distressor. It would be interesting to hear the actual results on this 'major label stuff' he's doing as I can't imagine how it would sound. I figure I'll probably just print the mic tracks to Tools, then parallel comp to the outboard gear from there, but as mentioned, the summing won't be the same and phase becomes a bit of an issue.

here are 2 stereotracks for you to fuck around with:

there's no EQ on either of them, one ist the raw uncompressed track:

NoComp

and one went through my LA Audio with 3:1 40ms attack, 50ms release about 4-6dB of reduction (on the meter...I feel that it's actually always a bit more than the meter shows on this comp):

Comp

and for the lazy ones among you, here it is combined (with the EQ (API) on the comp-track, but no EQ on the sum):

combined

(the kick is only there to phase-align the tracks...they should be fine though)

Tried this out on a recent mix & it's pretty cool. Just seems to fill in the cracks nicely. I'll have to add it to the aresenal. Very cool idea & thanks very much for sharing!

If I get a chance I'll post some results later.

-0z-

i'd be interested to hear if anybody else has tried this in Reaper and exactly how they did it with Reaper's SEND options.

i gave it a go today. it DID fatten things up nicely.

i've been playing with a mutli-band comp and getting some good results.

Yeah, I haven't been able to bounce a comparison clip yet but I did use it on the mix in this thread. I really didn't want to simply turn the guitars up as what I was desiring was just a fuller sound to fill some space. This technique did exactly that. I will definitely be using this a lot in the future, especially on projects where there are only 2 tracks of guitars (1 per side). I like the clarity of 1-track per side, but the fullness is hard to accomplish, I think this solves that problem perfectly. :)

I think I will invest in a hardware compressor though as I can definitely see why it would make a difference. So if I'm loving what a software comp is doing for me I can't wait to hear a hardware comp's effect.

Really want to say thanks to CFH13 for posting this invaluable technique up and also to the engineer that gave way one of his tricks.

~006

DFP Endorphin might be a good VST Comp to test this with. Reading some of the info about it, it seems to emulate the sound of a pushed hardware compressor.

Re: LSD Studio's clips

Well, I heard a difference between NoComp and Comp, but the Mixed doesn't sound any different than the NoComp to me. Probably my setup.

IIRC the parallel 1176 thing is on all/most of the Foo Fighters stuff.

You weren't assisting on a Jim Scott session were ya?

here are 2 stereotracks for you to fuck around with:

there's no EQ on either of them, one ist the raw uncompressed track:

NoComp

and one went through my LA Audio with 3:1 40ms attack, 50ms release about 4-6dB of reduction (on the meter...I feel that it's actually always a bit more than the meter shows on this comp):

Comp

and for the lazy ones among you, here it is combined (with the EQ (API) on the comp-track, but no EQ on the sum):

combined

(the kick is only there to phase-align the tracks...they should be fine though)

Sheeooot, those tracks all sound killer, comp'd or not.

What is that?

On topic, do you guys do this just like parallel drum comping, i.e. send from guitar bus (or wherever) PRE FADER to the comp track?

I sent mine pre-fader on both the drums and the guitars for the project I'm using this method on.

~006

When using parallel compression do you use multiband compressors or regular, single band compressors?
I've also noticed that you like to add few dB at 10 Khz. Why? I usually cut everything above, 8-9 khz cause there is no sound only hum and noise there. Any comments?

When using parallel compression do you use multiband compressors or regular, single band compressors?
I've also noticed that you like to add few dB at 10 Khz. Why? I usually cut everything above, 8-9 khz cause there is no sound only hum and noise there. Any comments?

multi-band and yea, i wondered about the 10k boost too. i have nothing but noise over ~8k. a straight line.

one thing i've found personally since playing with this for the past week is you really have to listen to the dry tracks AND the comp together to get the full picture. i know it sounds obvious, but you know - you start tinkering with one guitar track - and then mute everything and play with another and then when you put it altogether again it sounds like crap. for my stuff i've really had to 'brighten' things up. i've used the mutli-band comp, eq and even an exciter to do this with some limited success.