Using time compression/expansion on DI guitar signals?

SirKnucklesmd

Ctrl+zZzZz
Feb 11, 2011
Orange County
I wasn't sure how to properly search for this one (being a multi-part question) but I also figured i'd get a better response from starting my own thread. I've run into a problem here recently when mixing a fast metal song that I wanted to ask what a good way to trouble shoot it is, and what people have done in their past experiences.

The Scenario: You're working on a relatively fast metalcore song with a lot of 32nd note kick and picking patterns. The song also happens to be in a pretty low tuning... drop A# for this particular one. The mix is meant to have alot of "bottom" to it since it is a band that primarily plays "heavy" breakdown style music, however they occasionally speed things up and attempt at playing semi-decent sounding traditional melodic metal riffs. The problem with this however is the bottom end of your mix (particularly the kick) gets sucked out by any low-band/general compression and you are missing the "punch" whenever those 32nd notes kick in... all smack and no balls.

The Quesion: To avoid this and regain the songs "balls" would one consider using time compression expansion to slow down the tempo of such sections on a DI guitar signal that has already been tracked? Or would that cause bad artifacts? (The drums are being ran through a program so those are no worry to me). OR is there a secret to keeping the thump of the bass drum consistent throughout the song no matter what speed its played at?? I know it's possible, i've heard it on the latest Chelsea Grin and White Chapel albums with some RIDICULOUSLY fast drum patterns that kept their "thump" through the whole damn thing somehow. One should note I have a relatively mild C4 compression set below 50hz at the end of my kick chain which pretty much gives the kick all it's character IMO. I would ASSUME this would help in evening out the bottom end but it doesn't really, atleast the way I have it set. Thoughts and suggestions?

Perhaps try some side-chain compression on the bass guitar, so that when the kick engages (i.e. 32nd note runs) it ducks the bass down. The kick will come through more when its not competing too much with the bass in the same frequency range.

Anything below 40hz is useless, so filter it out; it will only muddy the low end, especially on the faster kick runs. That "thump" is coming from around 50-70, so a boost in that area would help. At least that's what I do and it produces a pretty decent thump for me on my programmed drums.

Perhaps try some side-chain compression on the bass guitar, so that when the kick engages (i.e. 32nd note runs) it ducks the bass down...

I have a pretty wide scoop between 50-60hz on my bass to hopefully free up some room for the bottom end but when i noticed that didn't really do much I muted the bass track all together and those thuds still dissapear on those faster runs... just kinda blend together I guess. I also have Trans-X shaping the low end of my kick track with a pretty decent attack as well but it still doesn't quite seem to push it through enough.

Anything below 40hz is useless, so filter it out; it will only muddy the low end, especially on the faster kick runs. That "thump" is coming from around 50-70, so a boost in that area would help...

I have a 24db/oct cut around 37hz and boost the shit out of everything below 60hz on my "out" mic, perhaps I could try raising that up somewhere closer to 80hz and see if that improves it but I'm thinking it may just muddy it up more considering I think most the punch hangs around 55. This ones kinda of a damned mystery to me.

Maybe it's not in the EQ. Have you tried to mess with the compression on the kicks? It sounds to me like your release is maybe too long, so the transients are getting killed during the fast parts.

Maybe it's not in the EQ. Have you tried to mess with the compression on the kicks? It sounds to me like your release is maybe too long, so the transients are getting killed during the fast parts.

I thought that too. I have the release set for around 120ms... about every 16th note however before when i would roll back the release it would pump pretty badly. Maybe I need to find a better medium between eq and compression... i've poured alot of time into it so far and this is seeming quite ridiculous.

Could you upload/link a sample?

Also, are you mixing into a limiter on the mix-buss by any chance? It could be that the kick transients are triggering the too hard limiter and killing your punch

I'm mixing into an ssl busscompressor with only about 3db of reduction and slow settings so i don't think that's it. I'll link it in a bit.

If I get it right - you want that each kick thud stand out. In that case with just compression it would be damn hard if that's only thing that bring it out. You probably need sample those kicks to maintain repeated kick punch at that speed or automate EQ boost with ramp shaped curve which fall on each kick hit.

If I get it right - you want that each kick thud stand out. In that case with just compression it would be damn hard if that's only thing that bring it out. You probably need sample those kicks to maintain repeated kick punch at that speed or automate EQ boost with ramp shaped curve which fall on each kick hit.

It might seem noobish of me to ask... But does sampling a single kick hit really help keep the consistency of the performance in this case? I know these drum programs come with a randomization feature but I have the velocity set to max on my kick.

EDIT: This might be a Eureka moment for me. Haven't tried it out yet but in theory it sounds right. Should I cut the sample pre or post compression?