Heil Pr30/40

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
I'm opting to buy Heil pr30 or maybe 40 to use as a substitute or mic next to my sm57.

Anyone with experience with these mics?
Story's i heard were awesome, pr30 seems a combination of a Sm57 with a md421 but only better (more condensertype sheen)

Thanks upfront!

all heil mics are kick ass. i own a pr40, and a pr20. when tracking guitars, recently, we had seven channels set up per take. two of which, were the pr20, and the pr40. when looking at the wave forms from the take, the pr mics generated a solid wave form, that almost looks like it's gone through compression. this was compared to wave forms generated from a 57, i5, d112 (i know it's not a guitar mic, it was just an experiment). the character these mics have are supreme!

i recommend them!

when looking at the wave forms from the take, the pr mics generated a solid wave form, that almost looks like it's gone through compression. this was compared to wave forms generated from a 57, i5, d112 (i know it's not a guitar mic, it was just an experiment). the character these mics have are supreme!

i recommend them!

Yeah, but how do they sound in comparison to a 57 when recording a heavy-as-fuck guitar? I don't really care how the waveforms look.... the buring question is: "Are they any good for heavy rhythm guitar?" "Are they any good on a snare?" That sort of thing. Post examples if possible. I'd like to get past the hype and actually hear the thing on a practical application.

The frequency response on the Heil mics is generally wider. So, much better lows (the PR40's range is close to condenser mics) and more open high end. Nothing in them sound really hyped, so they seem like all purpose mics.

PR20 is great for cabs/snare, even scream vox
PR40 as lead vox mic, kick, bass guitar, low toms.

I'll be tracking guitars on Monday, so I'll go in Sunday and do a shootout between a few different mics. I'll for sure do: Shure SM57 vs Audix i5 vs Heil PR20, possibly the PR40 on the guitars as well. If I got the time I'll do a shootout on kick drum or bass between AKG D112 vs Audix D6 vs Heil PR40.

I'll try to get them uploaded Sunday night. If anyone has any requests on what you'd like the shootout to be on (guitar, snare, etc) just let me know.

The shipment of new drum heads won't get here until Tuesday, so I'm holding off on getting the shootout done until then - but I'll have something up later this week. I was able to do some guitar tests last night - ran the following

Mesa Triple w/ 1960A Cab
SM57
i5
PR20
PR40

I also, did the same tracks with a Mesa Traditional Rectifier Cab. Instantly, I did not like the i5 at all on cab. It seemed to really hype up the high end, making it really fizzy compared to the other mics. The PR20 has a 57 like characteristic, but with just a wider frequency response (much more present lows 30hz-200hz and more open high end). The PR20 has a little bit of a hype around 2.5-3.5khz which gives it a little bit of cut. The PR40 is much more flat response wise, but the range extends even farther than the PR20 - pretty much condenser range but being a dynamic, it was much quieter with great off=axis rejection. Ended up using the PR40 on the 1960A cab, and the PR20 on the Mesa. But yeah, I'll get some clips up once I get a chance to do the drums