Soldano SLO100 Loop Mod Comparison Clip (PR30 Mic)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Here's a comparison that should show you the difference between the stock SLO100 (loop in) and the modded version with the loop bypassed (make sure to listen on high quality cans or speakers).

First it's a clip edited to switch back and forth between the two, then after that you can hear the full clip with and without the loop.
of course I didn't change any of the settings between the clips, no post-processing either.

My very personal opinion: I think it's TOTALLY worth getting the loop bypass mod, IMO the amp sounds less cloudy and much more open and direct with the loop bypassed...lovely.

Recording info: I didn't use the typical Mesa+sm57 this time, for this clip I used a Bogner cab with a single Heil PR30 mic.

Thanks Marcus for the DIs ;)

PLEASE WATCH IN 1080p HD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there seems to be more definition and clarity in the tone. Comparing to the modded version, the original has a bit of mushiness in the midrange. Still great tone coming from the stock amp, but if this mod isn't too complex there seems to be no reason not to get one done. Definitely compliments the playing.

Hmmm, I actually really prefer the loop in (stock) sound. Highs seem smoother sounding to me when stock, and a bit too much clarity with it bypassed. Sure you could dial it out with the EQ though.

I'm with Drew on this one. As soon as I read the post about the mod I was thinking "the loop driver is a massive part of the SLO sound, why would you want to remove it, it would lack warmth, compression and would be a little harsh...". Listened to the clip and my suspicions were right, the Loop driver bypassed sounds harsh, the low end is way too tight. Yeah it may not be as clear, but clarity isn't always everything if the tone becomes sterile and lifeless.

Still a cool mod, just not feeling it.