Hellfest,Whos Going?

Last Saturday I went at Gods of Metal day2 here in Italy..
55€ for:
- Beetween the buried and me
- Dillinger escape plan
- At the Gates
- Testament
- Meshuggah
- Carcass
- Slayer

It was a very good day!

And above all not a single french person spoke english, not a single word :lol:

Welcome in France :)

I hate that about my country. French mentality is to blame but government/department of education don't help as well.

I wish it could be like Finland where almost everyone in the streets (from the 12 year old skateboard kid to the 55 year-old clerk) can speak English and where all the English-speaking movies (at the movies or on TV) are in English, and not retardly dubbed like in France/Germany/Poland...

Doesn't mean i don't like the French language but this "we suck at speaking English" + "we like to dub non-French speaking movies with retarded French, in a way that makes the creepier horror movie sound like a cheesy comedy" pisses me off.

Doesn't mean i don't like the French language but this "we suck at speaking English" + "we like to dub non-French speaking movies with retarded French, in a way that makes the creepier horror movie sound like a cheesy comedy" pisses me off.

Speak for yourself (regarding dubbing) lol :lol::lol: even though watching in their original language is better, we were the fist to dub movies and we're still the best, the best voices are italian period.
And yes of course you french people should start learning english, but on this topic never mind, over here is even worse, but we don't hate speaking another language! ;)

Speak for yourself (regarding dubbing) lol :lol::lol: even though watching in their original language is better, we were the fist to dub movies and we're still the best, the best voices are italian period.
And yes of course you french people should start learning english, but on this topic never mind, over here is even worse, but we don't hate speaking another language! ;)

Even if French / Italian / whatever language sounds good, i think dubbing movies is most of the time PURE FAIL. Seriously i think there's something wrong with trying to translate everything and skip the original actors vocal performance.
If you watch a dialogue-based comedy like Clerks, it will lose 40% of its interest if it's dubbed. Most of the jokes cannot be correctly translated for instance.
Watching the movie about the last days of Hitler, "Der Untergang", in another language than German doesn't make sense.
The worst for dubbing is when you watch a badass horror movie and when some French dude dubs it in a very retarded way. totally ruins the movie. Same for very emotional/moving stuff.

I tend to think that people should always watch movies in their original language (whether it's English, Arab, Spanish, German, Japanese, Danish) with subtitles if they don't understand this language, since dubbing is like "transforming/interpretating" the original stuff, and sometimes it sucks, like a band that makes an awful cover of an awesome original song.

Though I must admit that sometimes the dubbing is not that bad. I remember watching a lot of 90's action movies like Die Hard / Lethal Weapon and the dubbing was a great job, even if the original voices are always better. Now in France we have TERRIBLE dubbing most of the times that totally RUINS movies. Sounds like the people who are dubbing are the same who are doing the retarded dialogues in the cleaning-product commercials.

If you like the way Italian language sounds, don't you think it's retarded that for instance French people watch Italian movies dubbed in French ? I think it's pretty stupid. The original dialogues are a big part of a movie IMO.

And finally, keeping dubbed movies as a standard doesn't help people speaking foreign languages better. AFAIK the European countries that have a good English level are the ones who do not have dubbed movies, like Scandinavian movies for instance (and English-speaking countries as well :) ). The ones that suck the most are the Latin countries who are very self-centered and still have dubbed movies most of the times : France, Spain, Italy...

Dude, I COMPLETELY agree Djab - +100 on the dubbing thing, whenever I see foreign movies ("Das Leben der Anderen" being the most recent), I would always much rather have them be subtitled than dubbed, for all the reasons you mentioned (losing the emotional quality of the original actor, things lost in translation, etc.). And this:

Sounds like the people who are dubbing are the same who are doing the retarded dialogues in the cleaning-product commercials...

Made me :lol: I can totally picture it :D

The point is most of the non english mother tongue won't get all the jokes of a movie like Clerks even if it's subtitled.
You're not living in america and you'll find sometimes hard to understand some stuff, some idioms/expressions, that's it.
that's why we/you use dubbing, you gotta find a way to change the line so it can make sense in the language the movie has been dubbed to.
Sometimes they make terrible mistakes like this one:
On futurama (italian dubbed version) on the the episode were bender was a "were-machine" it was translated like "the machine that was" literally, I mean it doesn't make sense, bender was like a werewolf but it was poorly translated in that stupid way, people that translates "usually" have a degree in english literature but most of the times they don't have a clue of what they translating lol
Yes I watch english versions but sometimes it's really really hard to comprehend everything

The point is most of the non english mother tongue won't get all the jokes of a movie like Clerks even if it's subtitled.

Agreed but when you start to get used to English slang/American culture you start to get all those jokes/references... Same happens checking this forum on a regular basis. Had no clue of all this "fail" / "the brOOtalZ" / "word-ish" stuff one year ago, now i start to get it. Same with Clerks.
If you don't watch movies in the original version thinking you won't get the jokes, there's no chance you're gonna get them someday. If you try, you won't get them at first but progressively you will, if that makes sense.

Personally when i watch English-speaking movies, i use English subtitles, since i want to get all the new jokes/vocabulary from it. For languages i have a hard time to understand (for instance German, been learning this at school for years but still i suck at it) i use French subtitles for sure.

On futurama (italian dubbed version) on the the episode were bender was a "were-machine" it was translated like "the machine that was" literally, I mean it doesn't make sense, bender was like a werewolf but it was poorly translated in that stupid way, people that translates "usually" have a degree in english literature but most of the times they don't have a clue of what they translating lol

Hahahahahahhaha, I love bad translations, they crack me up (www.engrish.com for some of the greatest examples of this, by the way :D) - and another thing that your example illustrates is that with cartoons, the voices are so integral to the characters, so having it dubbed, ugghh...I remember seeing South Park in German (in Germany), and seeing Cartman without his trademark "AW GOD DAMMIT!!" voice was a sad, sad thing :lol:

Hahahahahahhaha, I love bad translations, they crack me up (www.engrish.com for some of the greatest examples of this, by the way :D) - and another thing that your example illustrates is that with cartoons, the voices are so integral to the characters, so having it dubbed, ugghh...I remember seeing South Park in German (in Germany), and seeing Cartman without his trademark "AW GOD DAMMIT!!" voice was a sad, sad thing :lol:

Agreed. Lame translations are fun when you get them, but it's also sad to realize that it's gonna be what most of the people hear in the end instead of the original thing.

About the "dubbed voice" thing, some of us have been so used to hear the "dubbed" voice for some actor, let's say Robert De Niro for example, that it seems weird to hear his real voice at last. And it's also weird to hear the same "official French dub Robert De Niro voice" used to dub another actor :)

Hahaha, that I can believe - does he sound anything like the actual Robert Deniro?

Can't tell right now because when i try to remember De Niro's voice it's always that French dude voice that comes to my mind... see how fucked we are we dubbed movies watchers ? :) The French guy has a cool voice actually, and it's just a tad "deeper" sounding than the actual De Niro voice, which sounds more "normal" if i remember right.