Hello lawsuit?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
I'm wondering if these clips are TOO similar..

First of all..
Yes, I had heard the other song before, but I didn't have it in my mind at all.. Though I guess I had it in my subconsience..
I swear, it only occured to me after someone pointed it out that had heard the other song..

This is very old, so pay no attention to production etc.
It's from when I started out learning/making songs..
(you know, not knowing shit, recording with a pc mic) :eek:
I'm reinventing/remaking my old songs, and I hope this could be one of them..

Personally I feel they are different..
Not the same pattern, lyrics nor are vocals in the same place..

Here are the clips:

MINE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2383166/CHM.mp3

OTHER: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2383166/NTBS.mp3

Nah you are alright. Saying that is copyright infringement is like saying every band that does a chugga chugga open/mute in a song is copying.

Now if the whole song was similar the whole way through, then I would question it.

Also, I'd factor in as a positive thing for you the fact that it's a pretty basic type of thing, just going up like that. It's not like it's a complicated riff that's impossible to compose separately.

I do think it's pretty similar (although only if you just listen to them quickly), and I guess the other band/their fans could complain about it, but I dunno, I think they wouldn't sue you or anything.

Skip to around 1:13 for another similar part :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers, guys!
The other song doesn't have any lyrics except for the part I posted.. and it's a song from an anime..
Beside that part, they don't sound alike.. :)

Remembers me an old riff I made. Not big deal I think, I've found some parts in "commercial songs" that sound a lot similar between them and it doesn't seems to bother them so...

Yeah, that has happened to me a few times..
It wouldn't bother me if I was unaware of the other song.. not in the least..
But.. since I had heard it before I made mine, I'm thinking it could mean trouble..
Although there's millions of songs out there that sound the same.. Am F C G, anyone? :)

So far, you three think it's okay..
On Gearslutz two people said that it's only a problem if I generate money off my song = Yes, it's a problem and I can't use the song..
I asked Jens Bogren about it, he thought it wouldn't be an issue but that you can never be sure about it..

From what I understand..
Here in Sweden we go by notation etc. to decide if a song "stolen".. in that case, I'm fine..
But I've been told that in the USA, they go by feel.. in that case I could be assraped..
Not sure how these things work.. :D

Even if they go by feel, you definitely can argue that the rising thing is pretty basic (as in, rather easy to come up with separately from someone else).

Yeah, that has happened to me a few times..
It wouldn't bother me if I was unaware of the other song.. not in the least..
But.. since I had heard it before I made mine, I'm thinking it could mean trouble..
Although there's millions of songs out there that sound the same.. Am F C G, anyone? :)

So far, you three think it's okay..
On Gearslutz two people said that it's only a problem if I generate money off my song = Yes, it's a problem and I can't use the song..
I asked Jens Bogren about it, he thought it wouldn't be an issue but that you can never be sure about it..

From what I understand..
Here in Sweden we go by notation etc. to decide if a song "stolen".. in that case, I'm fine..
But I've been told that in the USA, they go by feel.. in that case I could be assraped..
Not sure how these things work.. :D

If you're referring to the 4-bar rule it's out the window. That's an old rule. Even if you sample 3 bars it's still stealing.

If you're referring to the 4-bar rule it's out the window. That's an old rule. Even if you sample 3 bars it's still stealing.

I'm not sure what you're referring to in what I wrote, but I wasn't thinking of the ol' 4-bar rule..

If you're referring to the way it is dealt with in Sweden, they don't care about how similiar songs sound.. the check the notation and if it's the same or almost the same, then you're in trouble..
But if you meant my "Am F C G" comment, I meant that there's hundreds of thousands of songs that have that chordprogression.. :)

I'm not sure what you're referring to in what I wrote, but I wasn't thinking of the ol' 4-bar rule..

If you're referring to the way it is dealt with in Sweden, they don't care about how similiar songs sound.. the check the notation and if it's the same or almost the same, then you're in trouble..
But if you meant my "Am F C G" comment, I meant that there's hundreds of thousands of songs that have that chordprogression.. :)

I misread you :) in the old days you could take four bars before it was considered stealing :)

Yeah, let's hope so.. :D
You guys know metal more than the gearslutz..
I'll be remaking the song..
Gearslutz is for pop producers more then metal ones in fact ultimate metal will tell you the cheap route while gearsluts is like trolling cause you don't use analog or hd setups.