Help and Advice would be appreciated.

MetalAaron

Bondage Goat Zombie
Apr 12, 2010
New Caney, Texas
www.myspace.com
I've posted stuff on here before but didn't get much feedback. I honestly didn't expect much after I'd heard some of the recordings people were doing on here. Totally blew mine out of the water! But, I figured I'd post again to see if anyone would be willing to give some constructive criticism. In earlier posts, I was told that the drums sounded completely fake, which I knew, but I was given some tips on how to remedy it. After trying I realized that I didn't really have the means or maybe the ear to do so. The guitars sound a lot better in my opinion. There is also bass now and some keyboard will be added soon, which is cool. Still rough but you'll get the idea.

I'm a drummer more than anything. But recording music is a lot of fun for me. So prepare yourself for some cheesy black metal!!

:headbang:

(If anyone likes this enough and wants to put vocals to it, that'd be really cool!)

Thanks everyone!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6109727/TAH.wav

Lol thanks a lot, but I've found some "older" stuff today on my HD (6-2 years) and had a great laugh, so don't worry ;)
I also have to mention that I'm not a huge blackmetal fan, so maybe my opinion isn't worth that much :loco:

But I think it sounds pretty decent:heh:
Guitars sound like black metal to me, so they fit haha
People were right about the drums sounding fake :/
I think theres some threads in the production forum about programming drums that are reall helpful.
Kick sounds good. I really dont know much about snares in this genre haha
I dont like the sound of the Overheads in general, what do you use, SSD?
Toms sound a bit "digital", could be due the programming or the EQing.

If you humanize the drums this can turn out really well imo! :headbang:

Thanks a ton for your input.

The program I used to program the drums is called Fruity Loops Studio 9 XXL.

It has velocities and such but it does literally nothing to make them sound more real. I just bought The Slate Drums so, maybe that'll help.

So the drums were done in Fruity Loops. I used my Line 6 UX1 to record the guitars. It's the Pod Studio, so no mics were used. I also did bass on it too.

Oh yeah, and I recorded it all using Mixcraft. A cheaper program that has enough to it for my standards.

If you want that kick sample, I can gladly send it your way!

-Aaron

Thanks again.

Ps. Any programs that could help me humanize drums better?

I think Cubase has some quantization with random failure or something like that, but I always edit timing and velocities by hand...just feels better in the end,
yeah dig into SSD and the drums will sound a lot better

I use SSD/Kontakt through my FL. If you are having problems with humanizing you should vary your velocities in FL. They do have a humanizing feature in FL, through the File button on the piano roll screen. I would suggest doing this for small sections on only one particular set of hits through that section to get the best results. Spend some time adjusting the variables in the humanizing window to get that great feel.

I happen to like FL for the 32 out kits, as FL will reroute everything to the mixer properly if you press reset out map in the SSD mixer, rather than setting up each track as in reaper ( short of setting up a template) Also the piano roll in FL is soooooo much quicker than the double click style in reaper. Copy and paste, slipping, triplets, sextuplets, automation, and the other countless tools are great for mapping. It even has many mixer presets for parallel comp-sidechain-ducking etc etc etc....

FL has quatization, but it also has a quick quantization feature.

Damn Masticore,

You just schooled me. I think I knew three words out of what you just said. I bet your recordings are amazing seeing as you know so much. Thats bad ass!

I think I bit off more than I can chew posting on this damn forum!

Do they have a Dummy forum? :headbang:

Could you email me Masticore?

If so,

Blastbeatsetc@gmail.com

I've got lots of questions.