HELP! ezdrummer advanced routing

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
Hey again, can someone explain to me how to set up advanced routing using ezdrummer im using logic 5.5.

By advanced routing i mean setting the kit up into multi channel so my snare, kick, toms and so on are all on seperate channels allowing me to say compress the snare without compressing the rest of the kit.

I take it you opened up the EZD mixer and selected on one of the track numbers and got the popup list of routing options, selected "multitrack" and it didn't automatically create individual tracks for each drum/cymbal/mic?

If that's the case and it didn't automatically setup tracks within the DAW I have my doubts that it's fully supported within that version of Logic. I have my doubts this can be done outside the EZD VST instrument as it automatically manages the advanced routing in other DAW's (Cubase, Sonar, etc) as soon as you click on the "multitrack" option in the EZD mixer.

I've no idea if there's a workaround within Logic as it's been years since I used that app. Not saying it's not possible with a bit of tweaking, but it seems contrary to the way it operates in other DAW applications.

Yeah when i click on multi-channel it does change the tracks 1-7,
but i don't know what to do from there on ?

do i have to assign midi channel or something ?

im pritty sure advanced routing does work on logic 5.5 i just dont
know how you would set it up.

Sounds like it's unsupported to me....if it's not creating audio (not midi) tracks automatically for each drum, I doubt that midi routing will solve the problem. I could be wrong but....

As a less-than-perfect alternative. If EZD does create a stereo audio track for all drum tracks, you could just use that as a psuedo-drum bus and manage panning/volumes within the EZD VSTi itself. This would restrict you in terms of FX processing as you'd not be able to apply fx to the kick, snare, etc, but it'd be something.

I was long time Logic user when they were still supporting PC. Multichannel out are supported in 5.5 version, although it is a pain in the a** and won't work for every instrument. Frankly, I haven't tried EZD in Logic, but generally, first thing is that EZ drummer should appear in "multichannel" list when choosing a plugin. To do this on most VSTi's first you need to open instrument as a standalone before opening logic and choosing multichannel output configuration as default so the logic can recognize it as a multichannel plugin, or you can try to open same VSTi as stereo plugin then choose output configuration, close the plugin, and then after that hopefully it would appear in multichannel list. When and IF it appears like multichannel you then have to make outputs for it in logic's enviroment, by making audio objects and defining them as aux channels that can be used as outputs for the instrument. (it was quite a long time since last time I have worked in logic in logic, I hope I am telling you right thing) Channel where instrument itself is loaded will be outputs 1-2 and aux channels will be other outputs.
Problem is that it wont work for every instrument, it wont work everytime it may not work at all. Logic is very problematic about it, for instance, at one occasion it just stopped recognizing ANY of my existing plugs as multichannel, for no reason.
Give it a try, but it is very possible that you will be unable to make logic recognize EZD as multichannel VSTi...