Help! finding good instrumental tracks

StarsRamses said:
First of all, Thanks everyone for the great response.

And to answer your question - Yes, they can be instrumentals of any genre by metal bands. The more variety the better. I like lots of different types of metal and would hate being bound strictly to one.

Burzum - Tomhet
Burzum - Rundgang...
Vore - Opaque
Aeternus - Fyrndeheimen
Aeternus - The Last Feast
Aeternus - Nordlys
Gorguts - Sweet Silence
Crimson Massacre - The Hyperborean's Epitaph
Blut Aus Nord - Procession of the Dead Clowns
Nokturnal Mortum - Black Moon Overture
Nokturnal Mortum - Sorrow of Native Lands
The Shadow Order - Viktoria Divina
Astrofaes - The Last Dawn
Dimmu Borgir - Sorgens Kammer

A bunch of worthy ones I remember.

EDIT: Actually I misread. A lot of this stuff isn't metal, though it's all by metal bands. I think VVVVV was asking whether non-metal music by metal bands was allowed. Regardless, I recommend all these instrumentals.

Megadeth - Into the lungs of hell
Candlemass - Into the unfathomed tower
Iron Maiden - Los'fer words

You're pretty much missing out on the best of instrumental music if you're just looking for metal metal instrumentals. And as has been mentioned, a lot of the instrumentals by metal bands aren't very "metal."

Any of Agalloch's instrumentals: The Lodge, Odal, The Hawthorne Passage
In Flames' Man Made God is excellent.
Opeth - Epilogue, and Emperor - The Wanderer are short but good.
Enslaved - Norvegr is of the long epic variety.

Gallantry over Docility said:
Crimson Massacre - The Hyperborean's Epitaph

Did you get their cd? I've listened to it countless times and I'm torn Between The Hyperborean's Epitaph and The Devourer as being the best on the album.

Barking Pumpkin said:
You're pretty much missing out on the best of instrumental music if you're just looking for metal metal instrumentals. And as has been mentioned, a lot of the instrumentals by metal bands aren't very "metal."

I know. I am familiar with great instrumental tracks by "non-metal" artists such as Camel. But I wanted to put a list together of metal band instrumentals mainly because it's harder to do so and also out of curiosity.

By the way, what bands had you in mind, Barking Pumpkin?

StarsRamses said:
I know. I am familiar with great instrumental tracks by "non-metal" artists such as Camel. But I wanted to put a list together of metal band instrumentals mainly because it's harder to do so and also out of curiosity.

He means non-metal instrumentals by metal bands.

Lord Weird Slough Feg - Blarney Stone
Metal Church - Merciless Onslaught
Manilla Road - Rest In Pieces

EDIT:
Helstar - Perseverance and Desperation

Astral Poetry said:
Did you get their cd? I've listened to it countless times and I'm torn Between The Hyperborean's Epitaph and The Devourer as being the best on the album.

It's superb; thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't say I've listened enough to pick a favourite track yet or to decide just how good it is, but at this rate it'll take the 2005 crown hands down. Not much of a compliment, I know... this year makes 2004 seem fantastic.

Astral Poetry said:

I can't really get past "The Luster of Pandemonium" at the moment, amazing track. After that, I'll give the other tracks more attention.

StarsRamses said:

By the way, what bands had you in mind, Barking Pumpkin?

Well, I was kind of thinking about jazz and classical music, the two titan instrumental genres........but generally for metal metal instrumentals, there aren't a lot, and instrumental tracks are often slow atmospheric things, or intros, or something.

In "metal," you're better off to go with maybe some instrumental bands. They're not really all that metal, but some are more or less.....things like Liquid Tension Experiment, Gordian Knot, Spastic Ink (first album). Also look into Jason Becker's solo album 'Perpetual Burn' (the other isn't metal, but better in my opinion), and the instrumental tracks from Cacophony.

Carpathian Forest is a metal band that has several nice atmospheric instrumental tracks. Again....they're mostly not really "metal" things. I think they have vocal mumblings or something in there also though.....kind of like "Ad Astra" by Arcturus.

The band Sleep Terror is an instrumental death metal band (hence, all of the tracks are instrumentals)... not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Some instrumental shred metal:

Yngwie Malmsteen - Far beyond the sun

Cacophony - Concerto

Kind of a mix between death metal and nu metal here, except its instrumental:

Lamb of God - Ashes of the wake (the song, not the CD)

And, some tripped out stoner metal, or sludge metal, or whatever you wanna call it:

Electric Wizard - Solarian 13, Mountains of Mars, and if you want REALLY tripped out, Ivixor B / Phase Inducer