age of silence. and the new modern instrumental movement

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
so i pick up the album acceleration by age of silence and i cant help to notice how metal and modern instrumental/avant garde (aka modern classical) are begining to meld together. it almost seems natural for these 2 styles to mix. i wrote somthing a while ago on how metal has paralleled "classical" as far as style and writing, and this album really does prove that the evolution in the genre is linked and that metal is the new "classical". the only difference being is that metal is progressing much faster than "classical" and, i think, will very soon push the musical boundries.

other bands seem to be doing this as well like enslaved and ephel duath. but this album definatly stands out as somthin to take note of. it flows better than ephel duath but still keeps things interesting. hellhammer does some great drum work on this album.

any opinions on this band or on the mixing of these 2 styles and how its almost a natural evolution in the music.
~gR~

I downloaded the mp3 posted on The End a few weeks ago and was kind of turned off from the band. It just seemed like a more modern take on Winds.

Though, I do see what you are getting at with some metal bands merging their styles with that of a more modern (contemporary) classical style. I haven't really decided whether this is a good thing or whether it's just the "newest" thing (to be avant-garde). The best result of this is Kayo Dot, though I'm struggling to even classify them anywhere near metal...maybe a quarter of the time.

I got that album a few days ago. Unfortunately, I only like about half of the tracks and find the rest slightly irritating. But I do agree with what you said.

bmh said:
I got that album a few days ago. Unfortunately, I only like about half of the tracks and find the rest slightly irritating. But I do agree with what you said.

Hi,

I found this to be a very interesting opinion as I like the whole album with all the songs pretty much being just as good in my ears. It's an album I do like a lot and it took me a few listens to get into it but now it rocks my socks.

But to my question. Which of the tracks do you like and which ones don't you, and what do you find irritating about them?

Josh

honeylager said:
Which of the tracks do you like

Auditorium Of Modern Movements, The Concept Of Haste, 90° Angles, Of Concrete And Glass and Synthetic, Fabricated, Calucated.

The rest just don't do much for me.

what do you find irritating about them?

The vocals just feel a little tedious and droning at times. Some tracks I like a lot (including the vocals), some just don't do anything for me. I can't really elaborate further than that.

It is by no means a bad album, though.

EDIT: Actually, I haven't listened to this in a while and just revisited it. I like it a lot more :)