The Chasm and Symphony X: The Neoclassical Spectrum

anonymousnick2001

World's Greatest Vocalist
Aug 10, 2003
I
I just wanted to make a general observation.

The Chasm and Symphony X represent two extremes(not necessarily opposite, but close) of what can be interpreted as modern metal's classical nature.

The Chasm are the conservative approach to neoclassical--a strict interpretation of the term's definition. A retread of classical ideas and technique in a new format with dissonant notes and creative application of of form, tone, and style. Melody is clear and readily available to the ears, yet not in a tradiitonal diatonic sense as in classical. The style is distinctly modernist, with minor sclaes and unusual harmonies like sixths and and sevenths playing as the twin-guitar functions.

Symphony X are the opposite end, employing classical instrumentation but not classical composition, to achieve a new interpretation of how classical music can be perceived and enjoyed. The epic nature of the pieces and instrumental diversity brought about by keyboard and guitar textures, as well as time signature mayhem, all accentuate the reinvention of the classical music wheel, bringing the narrative style to a foreront and applying a liberal interpretation of neoclassicalism to metal and symphonic serious music in general.

Bands should attempt both schools of thought, and perhaps with some more traditionalism and less me-smash-em death death bang bang approach, or less cheesiness and more detail to development and recapitulation, classical music can truly be reborn within the metal template.

Symphony X do not use Classical instrumentation. I usually dislike bands like them but Windham Hell are good.

What is classical about these two bands? I think the word is thrown out too lightly.

Eh?

kmik and Atlas Shrugged, what do you suggest is neoclassical? I've always found The Chasm's songwriting based on alot of classical ideas especially in terms of structure and their use of counterpoint and modulation. Symphony X seems more prog and has abit more conventional structuring but relies on alot of classical technique(pedal points, tonal centers and traditional diatonic sense and alot of harmonic minor use).

ive said it over and over. metal and "Classical" have huge similarities. i see a bit of it in symphony x, but its not as obvious like other similar bands. an example would be blind guardian.

i havnt heard the chasm yet. good?
~gR~

You don't hear the classicism in certain bands because it's not directly obvious unless you try to hear it. For instance, if you're casually listening to the Chasm, you probably won't hear the elements of classicism Nick says they evoke. Symphony X directly uses classical elements in their songwriting, but they're much more blatant than the Chasm in almost every respect.

Symphony X has verse-chorus construction, how is that classical exactly? I like The Chasm even though they're quite overrated, but they don't really sound like Beethoven, don't you think?

kmik said:
Symphony X has verse-chorus construction, how is that classical exactly? I like The Chasm even though they're quite overrated, but they don't really sound like Beethoven, don't you think?

because the A-B-A-B structure has been around since the days of gregorian chants. its not a new formula.
~gR~

kmik said:

Even though you're probably exaggerating, I'm questioning your knowledge in classical music. :err:

kmik said:
I know nothing about classical music.

then why reply?

this is the 2nd post in a day ive seen like this. if you have nothing to contribute, shut the fuck up
~gR~

VVVVV said:
Neoclassicism. :cool:

Oh fuck me. And thank you. :)

Atlas Shrugged said:
There is nothing classical about either one of these bands, Nice attempt at an original post though

That was a weak attempt at establishing superiority through motivation. Mostly weakened by the fact that your statment had no factual evidence to back it up...and it was wrong.

Erik said:
Want a cookie?

yes plz

VVVVV said:
You don't hear the classicism in certain bands because it's not directly obvious unless you try to hear it. For instance, if you're casually listening to the Chasm, you probably won't hear the elements of classicism Nick says they evoke. Symphony X directly uses classical elements in their songwriting, but they're much more blatant than the Chasm in almost every respect.

Yes to all. I was merely pointing out the existence of neoclassicism in both bands. Although Symphony X are less classical in composition, often taking conventional paths to songs, their excellent implementation of classical sounds and 'feels' into their sound is only a step forward for further experimentation. Therion are another good example, as are Haggard (from what I've heard of them). Blind Guardian are not.

I think I covered all bases with the Chasm.

kmik said:
I know nothing about classical music.
~gR~ said:
then why reply?

this is the 2nd post in a day ive seen like this. if you have nothing to contribute, shut the fuck up

In his defense, he was simply postulating. Nothing he said was untrue. Nothing he asked was unfounded, or inflammatory.