Help identifying this mesa 4x12 cab

Jan 30, 2008
France
Hi, I can buy this used cab, but I've never seen it before, the cab is straight and the grill cloth is slant ??!!

Do you know anything about this, or is it custom maybe ?

Thanks !

Yeah dude that is the recto straight cab with the slant baffle. Badass cab I owned two of those when I was still in my old bands. I didn't know you could get them with a straight baffle at the time. But yeah that is def an OS recto cab.

Can anyone recommend either that ^^ cab or a regular straight over a slant? I'm finally buying a Mesa OS soon and I sort of want to go straight but I'm not playing a fullstack and our other guitarist has the slant. Mostly for live use and maybe recording once in a while, if that makes any difference.

That's how mesa used to do the bottom cabs. (straight cab with slant baffle) Now the straight cabs have a straight baffle.

Bryan, I had a straight Mesa Stiletto cab with a straight baffle. What I did not like about it was that the baffle was perfectly straight with the front of the cab, and not angled up slightly like a Marshall straight cab would be. Therefore, the sound was directed at your knees instead of at ear-level when standing in front of it. You'd have to squat down to really hear how bright your tone settings were. When I sold it and bought my oversized cab, I got the angled one for this reason. Just something to consider... In terms of Marshall cabs, I prefer bottom/straight cabs. For Mesa cabs, I prefer the angled cabs.

53Crëw;10679681 said:
That's how mesa used to do the bottom cabs. (straight cab with slant baffle) Now the straight cabs have a straight baffle.

Bryan, I had a straight Mesa Stiletto cab with a straight baffle. What I did not like about it was that the baffle was perfectly straight with the front of the cab, and not angled up slightly like a Marshall straight cab would be. Therefore, the sound was directed at your knees instead of at ear-level when standing in front of it. You'd have to squat down to really hear how bright your tone settings were. When I sold it and bought my oversized cab, I got the angled one for this reason. Just something to consider... In terms of Marshall cabs, I prefer bottom/straight cabs. For Mesa cabs, I prefer the angled cabs.

I'm with this guy.

I used to have a Mesa Straight/Slant and could hear it fine. I traded it for an Orange (straight) and couldn't hear any of the detail. Found myself kneeling/bending over to get my ear lower so I could confirm how it sounded, and I had a tendency to dial in the amp way too bright. I've since gone back to a Mesa slant and am much happier. I don't think I'll ever buy a straight cab again unless it's a bottom.

Ok, bought the cab, tried it and it really sounds great !

One thing however : one of the speakers (bottom left) has the dust cap (center cover) missing...Is it annoying for sound or phase with other speakers ?

If your only close micing the cab and not using that speaker I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bothers you I am sure you can pull the speaker out and send it away to get fixed. I don't think it's that expensive to get fixed IIRC

It only matters if there is incidence in general sound...I don't care for the look of the speaker of course !

Anyway, I didn't notice anything about the speaker sound, but I wanted to know if someone had any experience about it. There is no cap anymore, so if dust comes in, is it really dangerous for speaker life ? Will it die ? Please god help me ! (Ozzy)

I have the same cab! Only problem is, it's so f#@cking heavy! I have to carry it 2 stairs down.... so I gig with my Marshall 1936 2x12" (V30's).... and we only play small venues so the Boogie would be overkill.... but I can't part from it.... is sounds amazing! Maybe I should get a Mesa 2x12.....

btw: no dustcap? How does it affect the sound?