HELP! Line6 UX1 Death Metal

creedofsindude

New Metal Member
Jan 29, 2010
Hi, I currently own a line6 ux1 toneport. I am having difficulty getting good tones from the Pod Farm :( I am interested in getting a Death Metal/Cannibal Corpse-type distortion. Any advice would be lovely.

In one of the sticky threads around here I think you can find a patch that Andy Sneap made and you could probably use that as a good starting point.

Cannibal Corpse have a lot of albums spanning over a long career, and the tones on all of them are very different, so this is kind of a hard question to answer without thinking of something specific.

The bass tones also contribute a lot to how good the guitars sound on a lot of their newer albums as well, so that is something to keep in mind.

I'd look at swapping the pickups out of your ibanez for something with a lot more output too.

Thanks, and yeah i just realised how stupid it is to say "Cannibal Corpse-sound" but im talking more like Time to kill is now!

n00b question, i guess: Whats a DI?

emg 81's would be a good start.

still, it'll be really difficult to get a similar tone....pat's a KILLER player. big part to his sound is also the boss metalzone used as a boost in front of the 2ch triple recto.

Thanks, and yeah i just realised how stupid it is to say "Cannibal Corpse-sound" but im talking more like Time to kill is now!

n00b question, i guess: Whats a DI?

DI is direct injection, what he´s saying is record a clean sound clip of your guitar through your toneport. You could use podfarm for monitoring but record it clean, and upload it do dropbox or something similar for all to hear, reamp, give tips etc.

Check out the preparing tracks for reamping tutorial here to get how to record clean while monitoring with ampsims. It´s not that hard really

emg 81's would be a good start.

yeah, im puttin one in the bridge real soon!

DI, huh? That would be awesome, anyone who wants to help me with re-amping? I'm just recording a pre-prod for my band but right now there is no clarity in my guitar sound. And yeah, I use dropbox and have been doin' it for awhile

elementary dude, and of course your asking us to give you presets/tones/advice when you can spend time doing it yourself, using the search function regarding Pod Farm tones and posting clips of your playing for critiquing, which would be more beneficial to you, not only to learn, but to not come across as a lazy selfish n00b.

but fuck the line 6 sounds, use the UX1 as a DI (use it as an input to track dry, unaffected or "No Amp/cab simulation") and check out some amps sims, you will be more satisfied. 8505 with catharsis awesomtime impulses is a good start. The Amp sim/impulse tutorials are in the forum, look for stickies and the search to find it, read it and educate yourself, then do some tone tests and ask for opinions in the rate your mixes subforum. You will come across as a smarter individual, and will learn faster that way rather than going "hai gaise, my pod tone sucks, give advize/presetz plz"

elementary dude, and of course your asking us to give you presets/tones/advice when you can spend time doing it yourself, using the search function regarding Pod Farm tones and posting clips of your playing for critiquing, which would be more beneficial to you, not only to learn, but to not come across as a lazy selfish n00b.

but fuck the line 6 sounds, use the UX1 as a DI (use it as an input to track dry, unaffected or "No Amp/cab simulation") and check out some amps sims, you will be more satisfied. 8505 with catharsis awesomtime impulses is a good start. The Amp sim/impulse tutorials are in the forum, look for stickies and the search to find it, read it and educate yourself, then do some tone tests and ask for opinions in the rate your mixes subforum. You will come across as a smarter individual, and will learn faster that way rather than going "hai gaise, my pod tone sucks, give advize/presetz plz"

Wow, i got owned. Well the truth is that i just joined yesterday and I haven't gotten around to checking this place out fully (though i have been browsing a bit). But thanks for the 8505 tip, i already have it but since im learning i haven't really gotten any good sounds from it, though it has been some time since i tryed.

Just want to thank everyone that are replying. When you're a beginner like me it's nice to know there are people here who can give me advice.

I'm not too familiar with impulse-things (lol), i'll check it out

Like TheWinterSnow said, check out impulses and such. It is fairly easy to figure out when you have a bit of a read around. It takes a while to explain it all from scratch, but the concept is quite easy to get your head around.

Remember that The Time to Kill is Now was actually recorded in Ab and as stated before, Pat is an incredible rhythm player, so a lot of how good he sounds is coming straight out of his skill/hands.

Like TheWinterSnow said, check out impulses and such. It is fairly easy to figure out when you have a bit of a read around. It takes a while to explain it all from scratch, but the concept is quite easy to get your head around.

Yeah, I checked out a couple of threads and now I have downloaded Voxengo Boogex and a tube-screamer... Gonna try it with the 8505 Nick Crow plugin tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I have a SUCKY laptop :)mad:) which tends to lag when I run vst-plugins in cubase... Sigh...