Help me get back into it!

ApparatusUnearth

The St. Anger Guy
Oct 24, 2014
Willoughby, OH
I've had a growing problem recently with my metal taste. I used to listen pretty much exclusively to death and black metal. Fast and brutal was basically all I wanted to hear. My problem is that over the past year or so I can't sit through more than a couple death metal songs (of really any subgenre) without getting bored and find myself wanting to listen to some of the more melodic stuff like thrash and traditional metal.

Is this a normal thing that all metalheads go through? What bands should I check out from death metal that sound fresh?

I've had a growing problem recently with my metal taste. I used to listen pretty much exclusively to death and black metal. Fast and brutal was basically all I wanted to hear. My problem is that over the past year or so I can't sit through more than a couple death metal songs (of really any subgenre) without getting bored and find myself wanting to listen to some of the more melodic stuff like thrash and traditional metal.

Is this a normal thing that all metalheads go through?

for me, this sort of thing comes and goes. I've been unable to listen to any metal at all for about the past 6 weeks. But that tends to be a trend for me in recent years: in winter months (weather I love), i'm less "angry" and tend to listen to much less metallic music. However, in the summer (where life and the living is lousy due to my hatred of the weather), I'm always pissed off. So i can ONLY listen to metal.

But as I've grown older, I have an increasingly difficult time listening to any death vocals/growls. I have to be an a very strict mood for them….and such moods are becoming rarer as the years pass.

for me, this sort of thing comes and goes. I've been unable to listen to any metal at all for about the past 6 weeks. But that tends to be a trend for me in recent years: in winter months (weather I love), i'm less "angry" and tend to listen to much less metallic music. However, in the summer (where life and the living is lousy due to my hatred of the weather), I'm always pissed off. So i can ONLY listen to metal.

But as I've grown older, I have an increasingly difficult time listening to any death vocals/growls. I have to be an a very strict mood for them….and such moods are becoming rarer as the years pass.

The vocals are pretty much my roadblock these days. Once I discovered some older metal that I like I find it harder and harder to get into death vocals.

If you like St. Anger, you don't deserve to be a death metal fan.

J/k-listen to what you like to. If something sounds stale, why subject yourself to it?

I used to listen to death metal when I was younger but as I've got older my tastes have changed and I listen to much more black metal (I love ambient black metal!).

Nothing wrong with death metal if it floats your boat but I find it a bit boring really.

Listen to old Opeth..aka their first two albums. Or some Edge of Sanity. I'm the opposite of you. I grew up listening to the melodic shit then finally embraced the brutal. However I'll listen to about anything other than Dimmu Borgir and Power Metal.

I've been listening to metal for a long fucking time. I used to be exclusively death/thrash, black, brutal/OSDM (not so much tech death). But I've always enjoyed a good melody (who doesn't?) so as I've gotten older I sort of fell out of love with the brutal stuff and replaced it with mellower prog like Nightingale for example. It's probably why I like power metal too...tons of speed and heaviness but also great, catchy melodies. I think it's normal for tastes to change over time, especially so concerning moving on or away from brutal extreme metal for a limited or perhaps long-term period of time. Bottom line just listen to what you feel like. Sounds like you need a break from DM.

Fun new band/genre embracing game: last.FM similar artists to ones you still really like. Then look up one of the tags you're not familiar with (most have more than one), and check out multiples of five in that genre's Wikipedia entry. For example, listen to the fifth artist, the tenth, the fifteenth, and so on.

I might just be a nutcase but I've found some sweet stuff doing shit like that, and it all stems from things I know I like.

Ive gone through the same thing these past few years. I was never the biggest fan of Death(I can name on two hands the number of Tech and Brutal bands I enjoy, I always enjoyed the Melodeath more) or Black(I really only like Enslaved, Immortal) but I cant sit through a song before Im thinking about some Traditional or Prog. Its the vocals, Ive found I just want more melody out of them.