help me improve my mix! :)

syndrone

New Metal Member
Nov 14, 2008
Hey people!

I haven`t been around here for a long time but now i started working on a mix for a band and need some help with the basic mix (drums, guitars, bass).

btw, vocals and guitar overdubs will come later. i have always worked this way because i think it`s easier to build things up (problem zones are easier to detect i guess).
But since the band chose pretty crappy tones tones (i will never do that again haha) i am having a hard time to mix it properly...

https://soundcloud.com/syndrone-1/test-mix-18-3-13

So any advice would be helpful! thanks! :p

On quick listen on shit speakers here at work, the only stand out obvious thing to me was the hi end on the cymbals. They are a touch "harsh". Other than that it didnt sound bad or anything.

yeah i boosted the cymbals quite a bit on the high end but yes now i feel they are a bit too hyped up there. Thank you, Studdy! :)

i am wondering about the low end... is there a way to improve the low end? not sure if there is too much low end going on or if there is too much overlapping of the guitar and bass? Or maybe the mastering chain should focus more on the low end....?

any more tips? i appreciate everything!

Just listened to your mix, Although I'm no pro when it comes to mixing I enjoyed the low end of the whole mix, I did however think there should be a SLIGHT boost on the high end for guitar, but that's just my personal preference. The bass mixed well with the guitars to my ears.