Help me make the ultimate iPod playlist!

Nov 20, 2006
Just what the title says -- help me list the ultimate iPod playlist!

Tell me your essential songs that no iPod will be complete without!
I will need artist and song title. Album title would help, too.

Thanx!

Mercyful Fate - Satan's Fall (Melissa)
Bathory - Enter The Eternal Fire (Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
Venom - Buried Alive (Black Metal)
Sadus - Torture (Chemical Exposure)
Sabbat (UK) - A Cautionary Tale (History Of A Time To Come)
Metallica - Phantom Lord (Kill 'Em All)
Megadeth - The Skull Beneath The Skin (Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
Judas Priest - Beyond The Realms Of Death (Stained Class)
Iron Maiden - Transylvania (Iron Maiden)
Iron Angel - Metalian (Hellish Crossfire)
Holy Terror - No Resurrection (Mind Wars)
Exodus - Piranha (Bonded By Blood)
Exumer - Destructive Solution (Possessed By Fire)
Helloween - Ride The Sky (Walls Of Jericho)
Celtic Frost - Dethroned Emperor (Emperor's Return)
Running Wild - Adrian SOS (Gates To Purgatory)
Grave Digger - Excalibur (Excalibur)
Dream Death - The Elder Race (Journey Into Mystery)
Demigod - Fear Obscures From Within (Slumber Of Sullen Eyes)
Diamond Head - Helpless (Lightning To The Nations)
Slayer - Black Magic (Show No Mercy)
Kreator - Awakening Of The Gods (Flag Of Hate)
Sodom - Nuclear Winter (Persecution Mania)
Helstar - Baptized In Blood (Nosferatu)
Heathen - Save The Skull (Breaking The Silence)
Omen - Battle Cry (Battle Cry)
Manilla Road - Up From The Crypt (Mystification)
Brocas Helm - Cry Of The Banshee (Defender Of The Crown)
Blind Guardian - Wizard's Crown (Battalions Of Fear)
Blitzkrieg - Inferno (A Time Of Changes)
Angel Witch - Angel Witch (Angel Witch)

some newer stuff:
Nevermore - The Learning
Devin Townsend Band - Suicide
Opeth - Demon of the Fall
Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno

do longtracks work on digital devices such as iPods? :heh:

Tell me your essential songs that no iPod will be complete without!

hammer.jpg

you anti-iPOD folks do realize that music on a CD is not exactly analog, right? :loco:

I don't despise digital music per se - it's just pointless to me to carry an entire record collection in your pocket. Even at home, I have way too much music on my shelves. Collecting is BAD...

Maybe I'm really into analog, as I haven't bought a cd for weeks, but only vinyl.

Collecting is BAD...

I think I would agree, but perhaps it needs further clarification.

A library is good.

Collecting is bad.

Buying sprees should be reserved for education (what's this NWOBHM stuff, I must investigate!) and exploration (what are the different varieties of fusion?). People who know what they want and the grounding of that should be moving more slowly to absorb what they expose themselves to.

I don't despise digital music per se - it's just pointless to me to carry an entire record collection in your pocket.

Now the question of how one's library is stored... the whole digital thing I suppose is just as good a way as any to store it for other people. I hate it. It's another brick in the road to getting rid of anything physical and putting everything in this vacuous pretend-it's-real digital realm. People don't clutter their house with CDs, they have tidy mp3s. Some people aren't buying books anymore, they have palm readers. People don't write letters, they email. Shit, they talk to each other less and less and just type to each other on their phones.

I feel (with absolutely no evidence to back it up... I feel... :p) that this evaporation of actual-stuff is in turn eroding the quality of the content that's in the stuff. Low attention span, my-life-is-a-hurry-so-I-need-all-this-convenience bullshit inside and out.

This is why I have some interviews on tape that I did in October/November that likely will never get transcribed... they were intended for the web. Fuck the web. My work isn't real unless it's in print. It's why my reviews for the site are veeerryyy few and far between. It's one reason I was trying to get Burns to physically publish Impure Metal and False Metal (and he still should, that lulu.com stuff is really great).

I think I am one annoying event away from disconnecting my computer from the internet. I can go to the library once a week to process orders and shit I need to do. I keep telling myself I should kill my email address and just write real letters to people from now on. Except I can't - my handwriting is complete shit because I started on keyboards full-time at the age of eight.

Am I off on a tangent or is this all relevant?

it IS relevant and a good point you make, especially with respect to the investigation-aspect. A lot of what I buy is old stuff, because I still have gaps in my metal knowledge - we will probably all have them and forever...with the exception of people like Chris Black maybe, haha...
Anyway, my last CD was "From The Fjords" by Legend, and it is obviously a bootleg or semi-official - directly copied from vinyl. THe problem is: there are gaps in between the songs, so the vinyl noise is interupted for a few seconds, which mars the experience a little. Apart from that, thanks to Slough Feg for pointing towards these oddballs...damn heavy for that time, and a cool rhythm section.

Now I am off-topic a little... :)

I don't despise digital music per se - it's just pointless to me to carry an entire record collection in your pocket.

Pointless? I would say that's the ONLY reason to own an iPod or any portable digital music player (which pages of solid state as opposed to multiple individual spinning optical discs).

Yeah, I need to keep my library safe at home, I'm not taking 1000 CDs on the NY subway each day! At 7am, I have no idea what I'll feel like listening to throughout the day so why not bring the whole kit and kaboodle?!

I don’t own an iPod and doubt if I ever will, but I do a lot of single song listening. I smoke outside and that is about time for one tune as I inhale a cig and sometimes find myself just listening to one song numerous times at my outpost over the course of a week.

A few of my favorite "smokers" from recent memory (excluding a lot of thrash):

Iron Maiden - The Clansman
- 2 A.M.
Slough Feg - Starport Blues
- Down among the Deadmen
Manowar - Hand of Doom
- Dawn of Battle
- Spirit Horse of the Cherokee
Pagan Altar - The Witches Pathway
Saint Vitus - Jack Frost
Tankard - Die with a Beer in Your Hand
Helloween - Ride the Sky
Doomsword - Heathen Assault
The Gates of Slumber - Angel of Death
UDO - Mad for Crazy
Rainbow - A Light in the Black
Metalucifer - Warriors Ride on the Chariots
- Heavy Metal Chainsaw
Pharaoh - Fighting
- I am the Hammer
Skullview - Seek the Old Man For Knowledge
- Skullview (Warrior)
Skyclad - The Disenchanted Forest
Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
- One Foot in Hell

Necuratul said:
Heathen - Save The Skull (Breaking The Silence)
I’d have to go with "Goblin’s Blade" from that album. Now that is a goddamn song. After the grand opening strains, the riff that kicks off the real meat of the festivities is one of the best in all of metal.

I exactly remember the A side of one of my worn out mixtapes - US metal goodness:

Mystic Force - Shipwrecked with the Wicked
Oracle - No Faith For The Liar
Slauter Xtroyes - Wicked Bitch
Liege Lord - Cast Out
Sword - Out Of Control
Riot - Thundersteel
Powermad - Nice Dreams
Culprit - Ambush
Nightcrawler - War Torn

For the record, I own thousands of CDs and buy an average of 4 new CDs per week. I also think mp3s sound like absolute crap.

However, you don't have to listen to mp3s on an iPod if you don't want to. An iPod is basically a portable hard drive. You can store and play back wav or (even better) AIFF files if you like.

The iPod is also very convenient.

What I don't like about the iPod is how it's become hipster ornamentation. But so have internet forums, and I still use those, too. =P