help me out. Death metal vocalist here.

SilverCrank

Feb 10, 2006
Canada
Warm milk while growling?
I heard milk is great for those low growls, is this true?
what about warm milk?

ty

p.s. are there any excercises i can do to help out my vocals?
like breathing excercises?

In the long run, milk and growling isn't a good combination.
It might enhance your growls, but from what I've heard, it might as well damage your vocalchords.

Since breathing deeply seems to be important, it might work using your breath to lift book(s) with your stomach, or something to that effect?
I'd sure like to know some exercises too...

Just practice, I don't use any liqiuds or enhancers when I growl, it took me a little bit to learn a low growl, I just did the mids first it and it sounded like odd-sounding talking, but when you hear yoursewlf doing growls it rules, check out my band in my sig if you wanna hear low growls.

Drink milk? Would you drink milk between songs when you gig?

You just need to learn how to do it without it being painful. If you get pain or a sore throat, you're doing it wrong.

I'm no real vocalist for sure, but use the search and see what you find. There have been many good advice for singing/growling here in the past.

Good luck! :)

You know what's funny, I learnt to do it, and all was well, I kept getting better and I do vocals full time in my band now, but recently I haven't done vocals as much, And when I do a big scream I get a proper head rush... never used to happen. Think I just need to get used to the long exhales again. Playing guitar too makes it rather unfun... as I kinda lose alot of control.

Thanks for advice guys.
Maybe ill try that book thing too.
And does anyone know of a site where i can host small sound clips?
id like to post a sound clip here to see waht ppl think so far.

drink a lot when doing extreme vocals! I wouldnt really drink milk for that, rather drink water or something like that, also NO fruit-juices!

practice!

learn to do it without it hurting, it shouldnt hurt! it WILL be quite a bit of work for your vocal chords/lungs/throat/whatever, just like singing, talking a lot and so on, but it shouldnt hurt!

Thanks for the link

Here is a clip of me growling to a song i found off the internet.
ITs a very crappy mic and not even a good song. and its only a 20 second clip.
But it will give an idea of what my growls sound like.

and btw. I am the guy doing the deeps. IM not the guy doing the highs.
the guy doing hte highs is the dude who made the song.

If you have any comments or suggestions please leave them !

i am 17 years old by the way.
YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery.

and yes i am growling random words :)

Drink milk? Would you drink milk between songs when you gig?

You just need to learn how to do it without it being painful. If you get pain or a sore throat, you're doing it wrong.

I'm no real vocalist for sure, but use the search and see what you find. There have been many good advice for singing/growling here in the past.

Good luck! :)

yea this is what im hearing.
Well my throat never gets sore.
I once growled for 4-5 hours a day for 4 days and wasn't in any pain at all..
this is prolly to long but o well.
its not changing or damaging my voice.

will zen of screaming help though?
I hear its for people who already no how to growl but cant do it long
and i no how to do it and i can do it for hours and hours withouth it hurting.

maybe ill do more research into it.

and dont i have to order it? thats another pain. lol

Learning how to breathe and relax is the most important thing. Too often people end up using their throat for the growling and that is always the worst way. Drinking stuff can help if your screams are too "solid" but drinking tons of water a few hours before screaming will help you out more than you realize (being that water drank during a session is pointless as far as vocal cords go). After inhaling (with your stomach) just exhale. DO NOT attempt to "force" out a scream and tighten up...this puts all the pressure on the throat again as you end up holding your breath.

Also, find what works for you. I spent much time doing black metal screams until I finally accepted the fact that I was much better suited for deeper screaming; once I knew this, it became soooo easy. I stopped straining to get where I could not and was delighted with what I was born with.