help me out guys!

No-Mercy

Feanor
Nov 4, 2004
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
as you all know im only 14, and while i love Maiden...there are many bands mentioned on here i dont know. the bands that are considered "old school" i like are maiden, saxon, testament, overkill, megadeth...i want some suggestions!! now im mainly into power metal, but i really would love some suggestions are older bands (preferably NWOBHM bands) that i dont know! thats all.

//greg

As you like some power for NWOBHM bands I would get some Grim Reaper (see you in Hell), Raven ,Tysondog, old Angel Witch, Jaguar (Power games) & Satan (Court in the act), Legend.....
For "power" in general I like some more oldschool US stuff; Jag Panzer, first savage Grace, old Savatage, Queensryche, Exciter, Hexx, Toxik, Warlord .....

We could all throw a bunch of band names at you so lets just stop right here, the bands Carnut listed are a great place to start. :)

No-Mercy said:
as you all know im only 14, and while i love Maiden...there are many bands mentioned on here i dont know. the bands that are considered "old school" i like are maiden, saxon, testament, overkill, megadeth...i want some suggestions!! now im mainly into power metal, but i really would love some suggestions are older bands (preferably NWOBHM bands) that i dont know! thats all.

//greg

Well, here comes auntie Wyvern list :D , no particular order:

Angel Witch
Def Leppard
Demon
Avenger
Jaguar
Girlschool
Rock Goddess
Samson
Tank
Bliztkrieg
Diamond Head
Quartz
Witchfynde
Witchfinder General
Praying Mantis
Fist
Tygers Of Pan Tang
Tokyo Blade
Satan/Pariah
Warfare
Venom
Grim Reaper
Tytan

Sortilege
H-Bomb
High Power
Blaspheme

Baron Rojo
V8

Riot
Hawk
Gargoyle
Armored Saint
Meliah Rage
Warlock
Tarot

Wolf (not a classic band but worth to be)

NP: Force Of Evil - 'Cabrini Green'

ah yes, i have always loed riot wyv (forgot to mention em) and i just heard angel a few hours ago, and that kicked ass!!!!!!! SO MUCH ASS!!!

to whoever asked, yes i do like anthrax...not feeling the singer on latest album though.

i cant wait to check some of these out, i was expecting a 5-15 list...and ive got at least a good 25-30 here!!!

Look at the list of influences on my band's MySpace (www.myspace.com/diebyday). That's an absolutely exaustive list right there.

Speaking of which, german metal bands are great too. NWOBHM gave us Maiden and Priest, but Germany gave us Accept. Metal Heart.

I concur, great stuff in Germany Accept, Grave Digger, Warlock, Living Death, Desaster (the last 2 are really thrash metal..) but all the above lists are really cool packed full of heavy metal goodness, go for it!

btw TANK kick ass!

Oh and on topic of Anthrax, the first album (fistful of metal)is something special, be sure to give that one a chance.

Cor......on.................er???????:hotjump: :hotjump:

They take a while to get used to, but once they click, boy do they click! I would recommend getting Mental Vortex first, then from oldest to newest. You won't be disappointed!!!

Yeah don't forget about Germany. The Scorps and Accept were incredible bands.

Here is a very short list of some of my favorite oldschool power-metal albums:

Accept - Metal Heart/Balls to the wall (too close to decide one)
Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise (power with thrash influence fucking masterpiece)
Armored Saint - Symbol of Salvation. Great vocals, great guitar tone. in your face power-metal
Savatage - Gutter Ballet. Savatage has a style of their own, but ar4e worthy in any list of greats.
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (masterpiece is an understatement)
Tesla - Mechanical Resonance (though really a hard-rock band, their debut was pretty heavy and pretty incredible)
Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - S/T - the guitar release to end all guitar releases. Great release.
Dream Theater - Images and Words - doesn't quite qualify as oldschool nor powermetal (though close on both accounts) but that release spawned the popularity of progmetal and thousands of bands have been trying to duplicate it since. I am not a big fan of DT, but that release is a masterpiece and then some.

Bryant

Great suggestions, I'd throw in Chateaux, Savage, Legend and Holocaust for NWOBHM, and Crimson Glory, Leatherwolf, Vicious Rumors, Fifth Angel, Racer X, and Loudness for '80s melodic metal. Hope this helps!

Neal

Being that you like Power metal and Maiden, etc., you really MUST check out ACCEPT.

Their glory years, as I see it, range from 1981-1986 and include the albums "Breaker", "Restless and Wild", "Balls to the Wall", "Metal Heart" and "Russian Roulette".

As a start, I'd grab either Metal Hear or Balls to the Wall.
You cant go wrong with either!:headbang:

very cool! i have metal church and dream theater now also...metal church is very cool, dream theater has, of course, crazy talent...but its not much my style.

ACCEPT FUCKIN RULES

man, this is fuckin insane

so many bands...i mean ive heard a few from tesla, metal church, crimson glory, ect...but this is awesome dude!!! i thought my band list was big before, now, holy hell

OK if we are going to drift from NWOBHM and similar, here comes another list with auntie Wyvern:

Metal Church (especially Howe era)
Abattoir
Heathen
Anacrusis
Coroner
Amorphis (form "Tuonela" and on)
Skyclad
Angel Dust
Axe
Blue Murder
Control Denied
Culprit