Please help me find some good music.

Igor_Cavalera

Apr 27, 2004
Australia
Hey everyone, I'm only new to real metal and I want some more good bands to listen to. I've been getting into real metal for nearly a year now. Before then I was into Rock/Grunge/Nu-Metal, but got bored with it and wanted something better to listen to.

My girlfriend introduced me to Black Sabbath, Ozzy and Iron Maiden. I listen to that plus stuff like early Metallica, early Sepultura, Slayer, Fear Factory, Black Label Society, In Flames, Opeth, Pantera, Death, Dimmu Borgir.

Do you's have any suggestions of albums/bands that are in any of the categories of the above bands? If you do it would be much appriciated :D

I shall do even better: I will recommend some of the best bands in the black- and thrash metal (and related) genres:
Mayhem (Up until and including De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas which is the best album ever)
Watain
Darkthrone
Burzum
Drudkh
Nokturnal Mortum
Grand Belial's Key
Negurã Bunget
Malign
Antaeus
Nifelheim
Enslaved (Up until and including Vikingligr Veldi primarily)
Beherit
Bathory (Up 'til and including Twilight of the Gods)
Carpathian Forest
Celtic Frost
Hellhammer
Venom
MetallicA (You know 'em and you know which ones)
Dark Angel (Darkness Descends in particular)
Exodus (Bonded by Blood in particular)
Testament (The LEgacy in particular)
Sodom
Destruction
Kreator
Flesh Made Sin
Onslaught
Xyster
Heathen
Sarcófago
Tankard

Enough for now. The general rule is the eariler the better, but this is not always correct.

Do so, I hear some people complaining about the server but I've never had any problems myself... Anyway, I could send them to you if you have an FTP server or an ICQ account or something if the site still won't work properly... Just PM me or something if you want me to do that.

As for Heathen, who have already been mentioned, you can download the songs of their first two albums from their official website, just go to

www.heatheninc.com/main/multimedia/mp3.com

I know I´m repeating myself, but further albums (mostly speed/thrash metal) I would recommend are:

Coroner (one of the best thrash metal bands ever!) - anything, but especially the first three albums "R.I.P.", "Punishment For Decadence" and "No More Color"
Anacrusis - anything (you can download all their albums from their official website: http://apogee.whack.org/~ken/index.html)
Hexenhaus - "A Tribute To Insanity"
Forbidden - "Forbidden Evil"
Death Angel - "The Ultraviolence"
Détente - "Recognize No Authority"
Flotsam & Jetsam - "Doomsday For The Deceiver", "No Place For Disgrace"
Mekong Delta - "Mekong Delta", "The Music Of Erich Zann", "Dances Of Death"
Holy Moses - "Finished With The Dogs"
Voivod - "Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatröss"
Agent Steel - "Skeptics Apocalypse"
Helloween - 1st Ep, "Walls Of Jericho"
Mordred - "Fool´s Game"
Helstar - "Remnants Of War", "A Distant Thunder", "Nosferatu"
Hades - "Restisting Success"
Megadeth - first four albums
Znowhite - "Act Of God"
Testament - "The Legacy" (already mentioned before)
Exodus - "Bonded By Blood" (already mentioned before)
Original Sin - "Sin Will Find You Out"

For some of the most haunting and intense vocals ever, get

:worship: "Within The Veil":worship: by Fear Of God!

It might be difficult to find, but there are some mp3-files on the official website, just go to www.fear-of-god.com and then click on "Music".

If you want something heavy and slow, I recommend:

Candlemass - "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus", "Nightfall"
Saint Vitus - "Born Too Late", "Mournful Cries", "V"
Solitude Aeturnus - "Into The Depths Of Sorrow", "Beyond The Crimson Horizon", "Through The Darkest Hour"
Zed Yago - "From Over Yonder" (maybe not as "doomy" as the albums mentioned before, but still worth a try; it seems they´re back again - www.zed-yago.com -, though with a new vocalist - don´t know what they sound like now)

Sorath said:
Darkthrone
Bathory (Up 'til and including Twilight of the Gods)
Celtic Frost
Hellhammer
Venom
MetallicA (You know 'em and you know which ones)
Dark Angel (Darkness Descends in particular)
Exodus (Bonded by Blood in particular)
Testament (The LEgacy in particular)
Sodom
Destruction
Kreator
Heathen
Tankard
These picks in particular rule ass.:D