help me find some music

melodictouch82

New Metal Member
Mar 30, 2002
Cohoes, NY
Visit site
Need help geting acquainted with some new progressive tunes! Please give me a list if you could of bands that jam similar to Dream Theater except heavier with a hint of Neo-Classic phrasing so that I can expand my musical influences as they are very important to me. I just need some new tunes and don't know a way to find any of this stuff almost as if it is underground! Please drop me and email at melodictouch82@hotmail.com if you know any websites with bands you would recommend me checking out
Thanx!
~ Randy

A band I listen to very much is Evergrey (Sweden). They play heavy (and a little dark) progmetal, very good especially their last album "In Search Of Truth".

I love Dream Theater, and I have a hard time figuring out why more progmetal fans don't talk about Opeth. Opeth is very progressive in their own way. Nonetheless, if you like Dream Theater, and want something a little heavier, try Opeth. Also, Maudlin of the Well, Nevermore, and Green Carnation (three bands that have no business being in the same sentence).

I think everyone should listen to Opeth. They are one of the best bands I've heard in a long time. I have never heard an Opeth song that wasn't spectacular in some way. If you don't have an Opeth CD run out and buy one. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

If you're into older stuff, I can recommend Yes as they're great. I have five of their records and the best is "Fragile". Some of their stuff is a bit too crazy and experimental, but "Fragile" doesn't suffer from this. "Roundabout" is particularly great and so is the song "Mood for a day". It's an acoustic song played only on acuostic guitar and nothing else.
I can also recommend Camel. I have three records with Camel: "Camel", "Mirage" and "The snow goose" and I think "Mirage" is the best, but the song "Never let go" is probably the best song in my opinion. They're also Opeth greatest inspiration! Opeth is also a fantastic band in my opinion. They're a bit more heavy but their music is great! I think they're a band that has just gotten better as time goes by, so "Blackwater park" is the record I can recommend the most". Their first record, "Orchid" is also good, but weak compared to "Blackwater park" and "My arms your hearse".

Some weird recommendations here! :) Opeth, although great, is not something I would have recommended based on melodictouch82's request for "neo-classical phrasing". In that respect, I would agree with Lutz and go with Symphony X. Michael Romeo blows Petrucci away.

I think 'most' DT fans would run screaming if they heard Opeth. If you prefer DT vocals, I can't see any link to Opeth somehow. Perhaps if you were a death metal fan wanting to get into progressive perhaps?