So I need some guttural help.

Yes, but there is always more than one way to do something; try it and experiment; then ask these questions: is it comfortable? - do I want to be louder or quieter? - does this hurt like a bitch? - what are the pro's/con's of this technique? - etc.

Here is a typical inhale for me; granted I haven't done one in about three weeks, but the idea is still the same.

Do you hear the undertones? They come in a little ways into the video (near the end it is most obvious), but when you hear it it should be obvious. This is due to a few things, one is the current state of your vocal chords, if they are damaged or not. the second comes from the inhalation of air and how it travels down your esophagus; because with the inhaling technique you are passing air through the cusp of your vocal folds first (instead of doing the normal vibrating pattern that comes with speech) you will get different sounds. This may feel wierd, but it shouldn't do any damage (unless of course you are breathing in glass or any type of shit that is chunky or will destroy your lungs.

Interesting, I didn't know you could tell if your vocal chords are fucked or not by the undertones. I'll try these inhales out when I get home in a less urban environment. Also :lol: at my post being on the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:
Unfortunately I shaved, looks pretty gay imo :erk: :lol:

Interesting, I didn't know you could tell if your vocal chords are fucked or not by the undertones.

Well, you can't... but the point of the undertones in the video was to show how different mouth/tongue/neck positions affect sound. Undertones aren't a sign of wear and tear! However, when your voice cracks often, you can't keep a simple tone even when talking, or other similar things are.

Also, 2 vids of me fucking around coming up; remember, practice your abc's!

Your inhales are extremely sick, and don't worry, the vids wont leave here.

Also, are you in any bands?

I am not; can't find shit around here. Some of the bands that do exist just don't tickle my fancy at all either : /

Also, here are some ABC exhales:

I am not; can't find shit around here. Some of the bands that do exist just don't tickle my fancy at all either : /

Holy fucking shit.

How do you do that?

I want to be able to exhale like that.

Just practice; also, most make a practice to keep hydrated, for some it isn't necessary (but you may want to keep a small glass of lukewarm water next to you). Those were done on the spot, and it' not like I was giving my best - still though, it's a pretty decent video to show transitioning styles.

As a personal rule, stay away from shit with sugar, carbon, or acidic things before practice. Hell, I don't even eat if I am planning on practicing.

Why is the exhaling part of it so important? All you're trying to do is make the sound; the method really doesn't matter, does it?

EXACTLY!
I think it stems from retards who think that people in "lesser-scenes" use it, so it must be bad; really a pathetic reason.

Well for me it has always been exhales that are more louder, I just lacked the technique, so it's not anything like that.

Don't worry.

Well for me it has always been exhales that are more louder, I just lacked the technique, so it's not anything like that.

Don't worry.

You have a microphone for a reason. Look, our strengths as far as vocals go all lie in different areas. My ability to do exhales is pretty terrible (though it's getting better), but my inhales are very good. I understand your trepidation towards inhales, as they do seem to imply a 'weaker' style, as it requires less force. Just don't worry about it. It's something you get over soon.

It keeps circle-linking back to this thread V

Edit: ah, I just pasted the link in the bar and it worked

I can growl marginally well, but I can rarely sustain it for very long, and usually this is only when my throat has been drenched with some sort of liquid (water or milk, usually). I more or less have the technique down, I get the theory and all that; however, I'd like to know how to maintain it.

I wish I had the lung capacity to do that, mine's only ok, enough to get by doing basic sentences and recording.

I can growl marginally well, but I can rarely sustain it for very long, and usually this is only when my throat has been drenched with some sort of liquid (water or milk, usually). I more or less have the technique down, I get the theory and all that; however, I'd like to know how to maintain it.

Breathing exercises & prolonged practice.

Oh, if anyone has a instrumental track like the one in the OP's video - please tell me where to get it...