Ok i need help!

angel_xylon

Legion of Angels
Oct 18, 2002
Somerset, UK
www.rockstargame.com
Ok i wonder if all you experts, or just plain lovers of everything metal could help me.

I like metal, and such bands as Slayer, Pantera, Dillinger Escape Plan, Snapcase, Dying Fetus, S.O.D, Black Sabbath, Machine Head (old), V.O.D, all tickle my fancy. But there is so many bands i would just love to hear, and get into. I don't just wanna dive in and go for anything, i wanna have some recomendations from you good people.

So...what are your favourite bands? I want a mixture; grindcore, thrash, death, black, hardcore. A bit of everything!

The more peoples opinions the better, k thanx everyone. :)

It's an older release but check out Cynic's "focus".It's technical metal with raspy death vocals and some other innovative stuff thrown in.Atheist's "unquestionable prescence is also similar to cynic but more on the heavy side.I'm kinda like you in that I don't just go out and buy stuff I've never heard unless I can buy it used,it sucks buying a cd that's lame which you paid 14$ for.

For music not afraid to bend the rules try these:

Mastodon 'Remission'

Today is the Day 'Sadness will Prevail'

Watchmaker 'Kill.Crush.Destroy'

From what you say you like, these might be of interest to you.

Oh . . . here are some of the albums from 2002 that you should own. I think most would agree on these.

Nile 'In their Darkened Shrines' (brutal death metal)
Immortal 'Sons of Northern Darkness' (Black Metal)
Arcturus 'The Sham Mirrors' (prog metal)
Agalloch 'The Mantle' (atmoshperic)
Lockup 'Hate Breeds Suffering' (Grindcore)
Porcupine Tree 'In Absentia' (Prog Rock)

Plus the three noisecore releases I mentioned in my first post.

The Great Deceiver- 'A Venom Well Designed'
Primordial- 'Spirit the Earth Aflame'
Summoning- 'Stronghold'
In the Woods- 'HEart of the Ages'

That band "Winds" just blew me away the other day. I got a few tracks from a buddy and never listened to it until recently, and franky, was astonished at the level of musicianship and the strength of the tunes!! And I'm not a prog metal guy at all. But that floored me something huge.

Ok... well here are a few musts that should be in every metalheads collection

Testament - every album they ever made
Dragonlord - Rapture
Kataklysm - Shoadows & Dust, Poetry of War
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
and plenty of ManOwaR

:devil:

Any thing Mike Patton has Been involved with you might like.e.g.Mr.Bungle,Fantomas,Faith No More,Tomahawk.
Some other favs of mine.
Deicide(the older the better)
Napalm Death
Cephalic Cranage
Burnt By The Sun
Ludite Clone
Integrity
Stamp'n Ground
December
Isis
5ive
Neurosis
Cult Of Luna

k thanx everyone. got enuf there to keep me interested for a while. its not that i dont like buying a cd that's going to be rubbish, its just that i don't really know all that much about more underground and extreme music. Metal which bends rules, minds and souls! I love music so much, and have a very broad liking in music (broad meaning broad in rock! not fucking pop!). Recently since listening to some tracks from terrorizers cd's and reading various articles around i am just starting to understand the absolute depth and amazingness of metal and all variations of it.

You've given me your own opinions of bands etc to check out, but is there any bands/albums that are pure classics and which the majority of people think they are amazing. Basically "must have" records and bands.

Nile- In Their Darkened Shrines and Amongs The Catacombs of Nephren Ka are being considered by many classics of the brutal death metal genre

Death-Symbolic, Leprosy, Human, The Sound Of Perseverance

Soilwork (death metal)-The Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait

Darkane (death/thrash with prog influences)-Rusted Angel, Insanity

Cephalic Carnage(death/grind)-Conforming To Abnormality

Terror 2000 (thrash)-Slaughterhouse Supremacy

Testament-The Gathering, Practice What You Preach

Must have cds in my opinion?

1.SLAYER-Reign In Blood
2.CORROISION OF CONFORMITY-Blind
3.MORBID ANGEL-Altars Of Madness
4.TERRORIZER-World Downfall
5.GODFLESH-all of them...but Streetcleaner would be the one to start with i guess
6.HELMET-In The Meantime
7.DYING fETUS-Killing On Adrenaline
8.NILE-In Their Darkened Shrines
9.EYEHATEGOD-Take As Needed For Pain
10.BRUTAL TRUTH-Need To Control
11.OBITUARY-The End Coplete
12.MR.BUNGLE-Disco Volante13.FAITH NO MORE-Angel Dust
14.CATHEDRAL-The Etheral Mirror
15.NOCTURNUS-The Key
16.MINISTRY-Psalm 69
17.KREATOR-Pleasure To KIll
18.KYUSS-Blues For The Red Sun
19.ISIS-Oceanic
20.ENTOMBED-Clandestine
21.METALLICA-And Justice For All
22.FANTOMAS-Fantomas
23.DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN-Calculating Infinity
24.MESHUGGAH-Destroy,Erase,Improve
25.FEARFACTORY-Soul Of A New Machine
26.PUNGENT STENCH-Been Caught Buttering

i could go on and on...In my opinoin,these are my fav bands pinacle releases.

Originally posted by wolf
It's an older release but check out Cynic's "focus".It's technical metal with raspy death vocals and some other innovative stuff thrown in.Atheist's "unquestionable prescence is also similar to cynic but more on the heavy side.I'm kinda like you in that I don't just go out and buy stuff I've never heard unless I can buy it used,it sucks buying a cd that's lame which you paid 14$ for.

Cynic "focus" is a masterpeice.....i guess you shud also check ouy Watchtower's "Control and resistence " ..total killer album which which was mainly responsible for Cynic's "focus" and Athiest's albums. also "SPIRAL ARCHITECT" and "SPASTIK INK" highly recommended.

Originally posted by union9

6.HELMET-In The Meantime
14.CATHEDRAL-The Etheral Mirror
22.FANTOMAS-Fantomas

first, it's just titled 'Meantime'. sorry, i hate it when people give put the wrong title of an album/song.

second, couldn't agree more. that Catehdral is a doom masterpeice!

3rd, how the hell could i forget Fantomas??!!! now THAT is an original band!! one of the most original bands ever imo. other than their s/t, check out The Director's Cut. it's and all cover album of old horror movie themes, and they are done extremely well!!

also, check out the band MELVINS (fantomas's guitarist's regular band). their album Ozma/Gluey Porch Treatments is a great album, and so is their album Bullhead!! VERY, VERY HEAVY! if you are into the sludgier side of metal, check these 2 releases out!

Ok this is cool :cool:, i'm actually getting sum1 here! I've only heard of about 1 in 5 bands you lot are naming. You'll all probably have a major go at me for that, but thats why i wanna learn more etc. I need metal! These are the bands that i have heard of that you have mentioned...
  • Nile
  • Immortal
  • Dying Fetus
  • Meshuggha
  • Cathedral
  • Fantomas
  • Slayer
  • Morbid Angel
  • Corrosion of Conformity
  • Stampin Ground
The list does go on, but as u guys named so many i won't carry on. Ok so i got the good bands, good albums, and now i need some advice on good places to buy the albums! (Keeping in mind im from scabby england) :lol:

Nile-In Their Darkened Shrines, Black Seeds of Vengance, Amongst the Catacombs of Nephra Ka

Immortal-Sons of Northern Darkness for a start

Dying Fetus-Destroy the Opposition

Morbid Angel-Blessed are the Sick, Covanent, the "D" one

Ok, i've done my part. :)