Help me out with Genesis

Belligerent

Greekus Urungus
Mar 15, 2006
The Low Low, IL
I've been into Prog for some time now but never gave Genesis a fair chance. Their discography is enough to make your head spin, so basically i'm looking for some good album recommendations(posting YouTube vids of them would be helpful).
I know some of their 80's stuff was cheesy so i'm trying to stay away from that. I'm looking for solid Prog albums.

I'm sure they have some hidden gems in their 70's material.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is probably your best bet. I'd post a YouTube video, but I'm leaving in like 30 seconds.

Get Selling England by the Pound and an excellent "live" album is Seconds Out. Another excellent album related to Genesis is Steve Hackett's-The Voyage of the Acolyte. Concentrate on their earlier output. There are some more that I probably didn't mention. Go to www.progarchives.com for a wealth of info on Genesis.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is probably your best bet. I'd post a YouTube video, but I'm leaving in like 30 seconds.

That's the only Genesis I really could ever get into. I liked a few of their 90's hits back in the day but otherwise I've always considered them the lesser of the major prog bands of that era

If you want early Genesis then I'd say you should go for "Nursery Cryme" and "Selling England By the Pound". Also check out "Foxtrot" and "The Lamb Lies Down....", and maybe one of the earlier Collins albums...."A Trick of the Tail" perhaps.

I know I'm in the minority here, I think TLLDOB is not very good. A couple of good songs, but as a cohesive whole it's disappointing. Peter Gabriel does a good job though. I hate to use the term overrated, but for lack of a better term, as far as concept albums go it is not that high up.

You're in for a treat Chris, Genesis is fucking great. My favorite record is The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Here's my ranking for the rest, which are all superb (all Gabriel era, mind you):

Selling England By the Pound (this album is pretty much tied with Lamb; it's fantastic)
Foxtrot
Trespass
Nursery Cryme

A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are both decent records, but can't match the Gabriel era.

Here are a few vids to check out:

Dancing With the Moonlit Knight (live, with a funny intro by Gabriel):

The Knife (also live):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBUwg1MPPfE&feature=PlayList&p=BBAE652579233798&playnext=1&index=10[/ame]

Here are some songs from Lamb:

In the Cage (live):

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall some weird concert footage where Gabriel creeps out on stage and has these huge Flowerpetals around his head.Its got to be from the 70's going by the weird time signatures and his bizarre appearance.Maybe one of our board members might know what song that is.
From what I've heard I think the 70's stuff would be your best bet.

I recall some weird concert footage where Gabriel creeps out on stage and has these huge Flowerpetals around his head.Its got to be from the 70's going by the weird time signatures and his bizarre appearance.Maybe one of our board members might know what song that is.
From what I've heard I think the 70's stuff would be your best bet.
"Supper's Ready" maybe? The guy did wear a lot of different masks etc on stage, he is a complete maniac after all:kickass:

To be honest I do really like a few of the Collins era Genesis songs, but keep in mind that I do love a LOT of 80s music, even the generic poppy stuff. There's some really good songs scattered across their albums from 1980 to the early 90s.

It's not that all of the Collins-era Genesis was awful (although lots of it was), it's just that it doesn't even compare next to what Gabriel did with the band.

No problem man. I absolutely love in "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" when Gabriel sings "There's a fat old lady outside the saloon..." and the synthesized choirs are going on in the background. It's so... epic. :cool:

You have to pick up, or at least, listen to "Seconds Out." As far as Collins Goes, this might be his best vocal performance. One complaint is that Steve Hackett's guitar is too low in the mix.(wanted you to be aware of that)All in all an excellent concert from Paris, in 1977. Bill Bruford plays drum on this as well. And Mike Rutherford who has always been one of my favorite bass players, is outstanding on this.