Help me reamp. tips/guide?

Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hey,

I'm a student doing my A2 Music tech coursework. I'm recording my composition (a heavy metal song).

I've been using a Radial J48 active DI box to track my raw guitar signal at home with my M-Audio FireWire 410, and I used the preamp line out on the 6505+ for monitoring. I've tried to have my guitar signal record hitting the -4 dB mark. Thanks OzNimbus for you're guide to preparing tracks for reamping.

Because it's my coursework, I can't have someone else reamp the tracks. But why should I if I have the kit to reamp the tracks. Reasons for reamping:
I don't have the luxury of a decent home studio or access to the studio at school 24 7. [FONT=&quot]So I DI'ed my guitar at home so I could nail the guitar parts in my own time, and not have to be pressured by completing the tracking in school by a certain time before they locked me in for the night.

I have no microphones at home and my parents don't love me enough to allow me to put the volume up on my 6505+ past 1, so it just wouldn't work out.

Anyway it's my first time recording like this, and the deadline for handing in my coursework is May 11th. There's enough time. I'm hoping there is a kind soul that will share their experience with me so that I can spend a day next week while I'm still off school to reamp my tracks.

At school there is a MOTU 896 HD.[/FONT]
1077071462044802.gif

And I'll be using my Radial X∙amp

DAW is logic Pro (I think, could be Express not that the version should matter too much). There is a Pacifica preamp that goes to an Apogee Analogue to Digital converter. I'll be using a Shure SM57 and possibly a Royer 121 ribbon microphone if I feel adventurous with microphone techniques.

So which output do I use on the MOTU 896 HD to connect to my Radial X∙amp (I'm not completely sure)?
I think the main outputs (left and right of course) are going to the mixer and then to the studio monitors. But I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm meant to use one of the balanced 24 bit 192 kHz analogue outputs numbered 1 - 8.
I'm not sure how I'll send a track through one of those outputs, do I set it on the output channels in the Audio Mixer in Logic?
logic_monitor_1.jpg

A picture I found on the internet to show what I’m referring to.

Once I do that I set the signal level going to the amp (6505+) to roughly match that of my guitar signal output.

Then I just put the mics in front of the cab and connect them to the preamp and set the gain. Then do I mute all the tracks apart from the DI guitar track I want to reamp and hit record?

Can someone advise me on this method and the output to use?

Many thanks in advance.