Reamp Problem

colynomial

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
wearetulip.com
i've been having a problem getting a hot enough signal out of my reamp box to produce tone from my amp rig equivalent to the tone i get if i were to plug directly into the head with my guitar... here's my chain, can anyone see a problem with my levels or impedances?

Guitar w/ Seymour Duncan Invader (Passive)
Planet Waves 15' Patch Cord
M-Audio Firewire 1814 Hi-Z In (1/4")
Clean Signal Tracked In Protools as hot as possible

then to reamp...

M-Audio Firewire 1/4" Line Out (nominal output +4dB balanced, -10dB unbalanced, 150Ohms)
1/4" to XLR Male Insulated Cable
Radial X-Amp In (XLR, +4dB balanced, 600Ohms)

and onto the head...

could it just be because the preamps in the m-audio interface are crap? or am i not matching my impedances properly? as i say... the signal leaving the reamp box to my amp is substantially less than it would be if it were coming directly from a guitar pickup...

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

M-Audio Firewire 1/4" Line Out (nominal output +4dB balanced, -10dB unbalanced, 150Ohms)

So which is it? +4dB or -10 dB output? Generally there is a switch choosing one or the other.

Your X-Amp has a +4dB input from what you posted. So I assume your output should be +4dB.

Is your X-Amp turned all the way up?

Pro Tools is set to 0dB so there is no change in volume software wise?

I had the X-Amp for a while. If I record with my Country man Type 81 DI into my Outboard Pre peaking at 0dB, the guitar signal runs through my Digi192 Converter and ends up at -18dB in Pro Tools HD without touching any faders or applying anything to it. All Inputs and Outputs set to +4dB.

When I play it back into the X-Amp with my 5150 the Reamping level is virtually the same as when I unplug it and plug my guitar in.

Sure you don't have a PAD engaged and are using the right cables? (no speaker cables etc.)

Thanks man,

It was the bal/unbal thing, there is no way to "switch" it on the interface BUT i wasn't using a tip-ring-sleeve connection so i was using the -10dB unbalanced out... rather newbish on my behalf...

Glad you got that sorted out. I will say, though, that I had problems with my M-Audio Project Mix I/O getting a hot enough signal to the reamp, and also with signal degradation on the way back in due to the bad converters. Hopefully they used better stuff in your interface, if not I highly recommend Presonus (I switched to the FP10.)

Damn Kazrog, you think the FP10 has better converters that the Project Mix I/O?

I myself have a Firepod that I've updated to FP10 firmware. I've heard rumors that the converters in the FP10 aren't as good as the original Firepod hardware. The converters on it are better than the MOTU stuff I had in the past, honestly the best converters I've come across anywhere near the price range. You'd have to get an RME Fireface to do better.

The M-Audio Project Mix is a great control surface but a terrible interface. A complete ripoff that I very quickly abandoned.