Stupid (easy to answer) reamping question

Sep 20, 2005
Okay so I'm wanting to get a re-amp box. Probably an X-amp. But Here's what I don't understand: whenever I see a diagram of explanation of how to use a reamp box, it goes like this, Guitar - DIRECT BOX - Computer - Reamp box - Amp

Now what is the direct box doing (what is a direct box for that matter), and why can't I plug my guitar straight into my digi 002 and then put the clean signal out the reamp box to the amp? I have a feeling I'm just very confused and if someone could explain the steps and what each step is doing to the signal it would be greatly appreiciated.

Sorry for the n00b question! :loco:

EDIT: Hmmm.. does the direct box change the impedence or something? like, from an instrument cable to a XLR?

Sinister Mephisto said:
Okay so I'm wanting to get a re-amp box. Probably an X-amp. But Here's what I don't understand: whenever I see a diagram of explanation of how to use a reamp box, it goes like this, Guitar - DIRECT BOX - Computer - Reamp box - Amp

Now what is the direct box doing (what is a direct box for that matter), and why can't I plug my guitar straight into my digi 002 and then put the clean signal out the reamp box to the amp? I have a feeling I'm just very confused and if someone could explain the steps and what each step is doing to the signal it would be greatly appreiciated.

Sorry for the n00b question! :loco:

EDIT: Hmmm.. does the direct box change the impedence or something? like, from an instrument cable to a XLR?

The direct box is so you can record a signal from the guitar at the correct levels.

Okay, so how is that different from changing the gain with the gain knob on my 002? (sorry, 002R, which is why it's a knob not a fader, but you know what I mean)

Thanks!

To my knowledge instrument signal is much higher impedance than line-level signal. You can reamp by taking the signal straight from a recorded clean track into your amp, but it will sound like having your guitar volume knob almost at zero, as far as I know.

Okay, so if I have a clean signal and a reamp box, I should be able to put that clean signal through the X-amp and then through the amp and mic the amp, yes? I'm trying to find out if I need the direct box. :ill: sorry again for not knowing what I'm talking about.

I'm confused because of this

xamp-3d-setup-260w.gif

The most important reason to use a DI box:

"Importantly, when used to connect instruments such as Bass Guitars and Keyboards to mixing consoles, Active DI's usually have an input impedance of at least 2 Meg Ohms to ensure no detrimental loading to the input which can cause loss of high frequencies due to the loading effect or impedance mismatch usually encountered."

http://www.arx.com.au/FAQ_DI_boxes.htm

Daunt said:
The most important reason to use a DI box:

"Importantly, when used to connect instruments such as Bass Guitars and Keyboards to mixing consoles, Active DI's usually have an input impedance of at least 2 Meg Ohms to ensure no detrimental loading to the input which can cause loss of high frequencies due to the loading effect or impedance mismatch usually encountered."

http://www.arx.com.au/FAQ_DI_boxes.htm

Thank you very much!

This is great. What I will do then, is get a X-amp and then eventually get a good DI. Although, it's probably better to just get the DI now... hmmm...

Thanks everyone!

well also, besides line level matching if there is no instrument input, the di also splits the signal so you can simultaneously track an amp and have the di "just in case" you dont dig the tone later.

I actually go:

Guitar -> JDVMKIII direct box -> Great Rivers MP2NV mic pre -> Digi I/O

and at the same time,

JDVMKIII directbox -> PODXT Pro -> Digi I/O

when recording. I monitor the PODXT Pro with an amp model similar to what I'll actally be reamping through for the feel and record the direct guitar track.

I then use my REAMP box to send the direct signal out from my Digi I/O to amps and mic them to record back through the Great Rivers pre -> Digi I/O.

Steve

If your guitar has active electronics you can plug it straight in your 002 without fear of losing HF.