Help me spend 4 grand!

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys! So I have saved up enough money to rebuild a small practice studio and I need your help! I have saved up $7000 and will be renting out a space for my own musical endeavors and for making money mixing and tracking bands.

I will be spending 3000 of said dollars as 1 years worth of rent so i won't have to stress that. The other 4000 needs to go to a few things. Here is my current gear

M Audio Profire 610
Countryman type 85 di box
New custom built PC (i5 and 8 gb's of RAM)
SSD drums
LTD SC607-b
AKG Perception 220

Here is what I will be needing (list in order of priority)

Studio Monitors (used to have MR5's, looking for something a bit more pro)
Acoustic Treatment
Vocal Mic
Acoustic Mic
Acoustic Guitar
5 String Bass Guitar
Mic Preamp
Desk

So what I am thinking is spending my money in this fashion

Monitors + treatment = $1200 max
Sm7b = $350 (used to have one, can't go without it now)
Acoustic Mic = 400 max
Acoustic Guitar = $400 max
GAP pre 73 = $350
Bass Guitar = $400 max

The reason there is still money left over is because I would like to get a t2i or t3i camera so i can have high quality videos to build a youtube fanbase

Any suggestions or ways to better spend my money? I am completely open to suggestions

I do have an electric drum kit so if I track bands and they really don't want to program drums they can do it on the kit

Thanks!

Do the two threads mean it's actually 8 grand? :D And I would say

HS80s - ~$700 (less if you go used, given their popularity shouldn't be too hard to find)
Lots of OC703 panels, some cut into triangles to superchunk the corners (maybe just the ones nearest the monitors), and DIY panels for the rest
SM7b (as you suspected)
AT4033CL (slightly less harsh AT4040)
And if you can swing it, Lakland Skyline 5 w/ rosewood fretboard (after much research and our man Egan's helpful advice, I've concluded this is the best sub-$1k 5-string for metal)

Can't help on the rest, but I'm pretty confident in the above!

Do the two threads mean it's actually 8 grand? :D And I would say

HS80s - ~$700 (less if you go used, given their popularity shouldn't be too hard to find)
Lots of OC703 panels, some cut into triangles to superchunk the corners (maybe just the ones nearest the monitors), and DIY panels for the rest
SM7b (as you suspected)
And if you can swing it, Lakland Skyline 5 w/ rosewood fretboard (after much research and our man Egan's helpful advice, I've concluded this is the best sub-$1k 5-string for metal)

Can't help on the rest, but I'm pretty confident in the above!

Thanks Marcus! I'm not sure whats more beneficial, getting a pair of adam a7x's used and not as much 0C703 or getting cheaper monitors and more treatment. I don't think I will spend that much for a bass (unless I can find it used for maybe 500?) because if anything I would rather get a nicer acoustic. I feel like every metal guitar play can pick up an acoustic and re-fall in love with it. Something about it is just the best for writing when you are not in a metal mood. I will look into it though. Hows life for you lately? You don't seem to post on here as much as you use to (at least it doesn't seem like it)

yes! the 4033 is probably one of the best-sounding condensers under $1000, although it would be nice if it had more polar patterns. not only does it rule on acoustic guitars, but is great for vocals, guitar amps, drum room/OH, snare bottom, and pretty much anything else

Thanks Marcus! I'm not sure whats more beneficial, getting a pair of adam a7x's used and not as much 0C703 or getting cheaper monitors and more treatment. I don't think I will spend that much for a bass (unless I can find it used for maybe 500?) because if anything I would rather get a nicer acoustic. I feel like every metal guitar play can pick up an acoustic and re-fall in love with it. Something about it is just the best for writing when you are not in a metal mood. I will look into it though. Hows life for you lately? You don't seem to post on here as much as you use to (at least it doesn't seem like it)

I'd go for the HS80s and more treatment personally; and what is this "not in a metal mood" you speak of? :D I too definitely want an acoustic at some point though, so I hear ya

And I'm doing good dude, thanks, just working a ton and trying to get my IT/networking career started and move out, so less time to lurk on here sadly. But still riffing it up whenever possible :headbang: Glad to hear things are looking good for you as well, good luck with the studio!

UPDATE! I found a space that would be perfect for me. The only thing is whether or not the room will work without a million dollars worth of treatment.

Here is a picture when you walk in the door
Front.jpg

And here is a picture when standing in the back corner (seen in the first photo)
noname.jpg

The floor is concrete with carpet and the ceiling is a drop ceiling with concrete above it. It would be perfect because I'm away from everyone and I would have enough room to put my electronic kit in there and have some wiggle room. Also, the price is the best price I have found in the county which I live in (third highest property taxes in the US=Dumb expensive rent everywhere)

My worry is that the ceiling is only about 7 feet high and the room has a kind of awkward L shape. Also there is no door when you walk in (I would also have the room next to it as a sort of lounge). Does this sound like more trouble than its worth?

Also I have settled on my gear list. I have found most of this stuff used also so its gonna cut the prices practically in half

Equator D5's
Acoustic Treatment
SM7B
AT4033
Taylor 110
5 String Bass Guitar (undecided, don't wanna spend more than $350)
GAP Pre 73 (what are peoples opinions on the ART Digital MPA-II? I know its cheaper stuff but its gorgeous looking)
Desk (I'm thinking about building one off of a DIY plan)

I'm also gonna pick up a power conditioner and rack tuner along with some high quality cables.

Dont underestimate the bass IMO. The role it plays is tremendous and bands usually do underestimate it !

Truth! I think I'm gonna spend $400 on a bass and find one used. Btw did you ever start that new job as a pilot?

Where exactly are you finding said space to rent for an entire year at $3000???

Well I looked at a few places in my area that were all about 400 dollars a month. I met up with a few landlords (and mind you there are alot of fucking creeps out there) and the last dude I met up with was super cool. He showed me a few places in this super upscale building filled with lawyers and stuff but it was way out of my price range. I told him I don't want to spend anymore than $250 a month and he showed me one other space which is the one I posted. He said he would be willing to work with me. At first he didn't like the idea of $250 a month because I am a full time college student and I only work part time, but I asked him what if I paid him the first years rent up front and he said that would be fine.

Its gonna be a $3000 dollar student loan for the rent but hopefully by the end of the year I will at least be making enough to cover the rent per month. Nothing is set in stone yet because I have to wait for my loan to be disbursed in mid October but everything seems to be smooth sailing at this point. Just be patient, look everywhere (craigslist, cityfeet, loopnet, local papers, ads on buildings etc.) and you will find something. The only downside is that I really can't make much noise until after 5 because there are a lot of professionals in there, but I'm fine with it. For the rent deal that I got and the fact that I have night classes it kinda works out perfectly.

wooooooooooooooooooo

Edit: Also, I have been looking for a place for months and this is the first one I found that works so again, be patient and try low balling people as shitty as that sounds. There are places that haven't been rented in years because of the economy so some guys just wanna break even. Its a buyers/renters market

Well I looked at a few places in my area that were all about 400 dollars a month. I met up with a few landlords (and mind you there are alot of fucking creeps out there) and the last dude I met up with was super cool. He showed me a few places in this super upscale building filled with lawyers and stuff but it was way out of my price range. I told him I don't want to spend anymore than $250 a month and he showed me one other space which is the one I posted. He said he would be willing to work with me. At first he didn't like the idea of $250 a month because I am a full time college student and I only work part time, but I asked him what if I paid him the first years rent up front and he said that would be fine.

Its gonna be a $3000 dollar student loan for the rent but hopefully by the end of the year I will at least be making enough to cover the rent per month. Nothing is set in stone yet because I have to wait for my loan to be disbursed in mid October but everything seems to be smooth sailing at this point. Just be patient, look everywhere (craigslist, cityfeet, loopnet, local papers, ads on buildings etc.) and you will find something. The only downside is that I really can't make much noise until after 5 because there are a lot of professionals in there, but I'm fine with it. For the rent deal that I got and the fact that I have night classes it kinda works out perfectly.

wooooooooooooooooooo

Edit: Also, I have been looking for a place for months and this is the first one I found that works so again, be patient and try low balling people as shitty as that sounds. There are places that haven't been rented in years because of the economy so some guys just wanna break even. Its a buyers/renters market

Interesting.

I'll seriously have to consider this. Honestly, I could be making quite a bit of money and likely make up that entire year's rent in a month, if I had a dedicated place to record from. My problem right now is I love mixing, but everyone wants the whole package, and I'm tired of fuckheads coming over to my house and messing shit up, having to clean up after them every time they leave, so I really only pick and choose who I record anymore, which ends in me having very few clients :bah:

I think there are quite a few discussions over the last 6 months on this forum about basses, might be worth checking the search function or the google "site:ultimatemetal.com" specific search. Even if the price range is too much for you, the information might be relevant anyway and could help you isolate the bass you need.

About my job yeah actually I started flying (as a trainee, like you fly actual passengers but are still under the supervision of special trainer captains) in november, and am flying "unrestricted" since june. I passed summer which is the busiest time possible for a pilot (everyone is flying to the sun) and you wouldn't believe how tiring this job can be (and I do, really, mean it). Eventhough I'm paid half of what I "should" be paid if you look at other airlines, I'm making very good money at least during summer so I can finally start paying back my 40k€ loan. Passion is nice but the $$ sides of things is very important when you're talking a job with up to 800 lives in your hands per day!

Interesting.

I'll seriously have to consider this. Honestly, I could be making quite a bit of money and likely make up that entire year's rent in a month, if I had a dedicated place to record from. My problem right now is I love mixing, but everyone wants the whole package, and I'm tired of fuckheads coming over to my house and messing shit up, having to clean up after them every time they leave, so I really only pick and choose who I record anymore, which ends in me having very few clients :bah:

I hear ya. My problem is that I'm kinda just "couch surfing" right now and I need a designated place where I can start up. If you want any help or have any questions or anything about getting a place feel free to pm me. You might not find a place for $3000 a year but i'm sure you could find something for not too much more.

what are peoples opinions on the ART Digital MPA-II
haven't used that specific version of it, but i have the regular MPA gold, and it's pretty usable for the price. not a UA 610 or anything, but with the switchable plate voltage and variable impedance, it's a realy versatile piece