Help me to choose

Tachy

Senior Fuckers
Dec 9, 2005
In Italy
I'm loocking to buy a new firewire interface, now I'm on iMac and I have the m-audio 1814....but I need more quality and connectivity.
I think about the rme fireface 800 and the motu 828 mk3.
The price of the motu is really good, but I don't know if ther's problems with the chipset of my iMac ( agere ).....
What do you think about this products?
I'm seriously tempted to buy the motu, but I don't found information about compatibility issues with the iMac......

I've had my Fireface 800 for a few months now. I'm still thoroughly impressed by it and there's so far been nothing about it that I don't like. The pres are clean, conversion is clean, number of inputs is great, drivers are very solid and it's overall a very high quality piece of kit. I highly recommend it.

If you have the Agere Chipset you are going to have potential problems with any piece of FW kit, not just the MOTU. The Agere chipset has got a seriously bad rep judging by the number of internet threads I have read. Bum deal! Have Apple still not got around to switching back to TI chipsets in the iMac? I know the Mac Pro's are now back with TI.

I had some problems, but with the configuration that I have today my iMac work great.....the problem of the iMacs is that they are not expandible like a pc or a mac pro, the mac pro is a beast but is expensive......now I think to return to pc and put my external hard drive ( raptor ) in my pc with the esata conection.
In my pc I have the ti chipset in the firewire pci card..