Help me with my tone.

taylor666

Oct 8, 2006
I've been doing a lot of tweaking lately but I'm still having problems getting my tone where I want it. I'm using a Peavey XXX head through an Avatar g412 loaded with G12T100s. The XXX has an Active EQ and it can be a pain to dial in sometimes but I usually can get a decent useable tone. I'm trying to get a clear tone that isn't too fizzy but still has that brutal sustain to it. I find that it usually sounds either clear and defined or heavy with a ton of sustain but I can't get a mixture of both. I can't post any clips right now because my mics are at my drummer's house but does anyone have suggestions? The only solution I've found is cranking the gain up but it gets ugly really fast.

Give a booster like the ts808 a try, it tightens the tone a lot while sounding clearer. If not, try a ns-2, both things worked great on my old 5150.

a stock xxx?

I always thought they sounded like shit!:ill:

I had an HD147, XXX, and a 5150 all bout the same time......
and the XXX was by far the worst! It was soooo fizzy, and had alot of feedback.

But I heard that changing the tubes and stuff on the XXX will help alot!:kickass:

I should have mentioned I am using an ns-2 in front of the amp and I put in some new jj 6l6s in it too. As for the boost, I have a Bad Monkey that is also at my drummer's house who is in Boston for hte next week but I'll look into the ts808.