Working on some new guitar tones/songs for my band...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
So, I've been working to get a better miked tone, and get better acquainted with my PODxt, so here's a couple tone clips for your review...

First is all miked tones. Peavey XXX through a Madison 4x12 with Celestion Vintage 30's. Miked on axis with a single 57 in the "sneap position". Quad tracked with an ESP/LTD Viper with an EMG 85 in the bridge with the 18 volt mod.

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/newsong1.mp3

2nd clip is my PODxt blended with the XXX miked tones. XXX settings are the same as the first clip and it was quadtracked, only 2 tracks of XXX (L & R) and 2 tracks of PODxt (L & R).

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/newsong3.mp3

Good/bad?

1st one is very good but the second one sound a bit fuller, too bad there is this very digital and sterile feel due to the POD.

Did you use the exact same signal chain for the 4 XXX takes ordid you change some stuff ?

I also prefer the first one. The second sounds like it's a lower bitrate? I'd do some slight EQing before I was happy with it, roll the bass back slightly and the presence up a tad so the palm muting is more defined. I do prefer my tones slightly more sterile than that, but that first one would be spot on for a slower, heavier song.

Meisterjäger;7421855 said:
I also prefer the first one. The second sounds like it's a lower bitrate? I'd do some slight EQing before I was happy with it, roll the bass back slightly and the presence up a tad so the palm muting is more defined. I do prefer my tones slightly more sterile than that, but that first one would be spot on for a slower, heavier song.

The sound quality of the 2nd clip is not as good as the first, I brickwalled it a little too much...I just used the same mastering chain for the 2nd clip as the first and the 2nd clip was mixed much hotter. It still sounded "good enough" to use as a reference to the other dudes in my band, so I left it as is.

Thanks for checking it out, guys.

the 1st is way better very nice tone.....why use the pod when you dont have to:loco: i wish i could get a tone like that:erk: