New Mix - demo of my band (real guitars, drums, bass, etc.)

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
I'm almost ashamed posting my work on here hearing what other people do.

Anyway, this is one of 3 demo songs my band recorded in April. We got a new drummer in February, and we were eager to get some new songs to tape with his playing on them.

Drums were tracked at a church, stereo spaced pair OH's (haha Behringer C-2 pencil condensers), everything else on the drums miked with CAD drum mics (again, CHEAP), snare was miked top only with a 57. I ended up replacing the toms and kick (chimaira toms, custom kick sample comprised of some miked tones I got blended with 2 or 3 seperate kick samples), snare is blended 70/30 in favor of the Sneap snare (70% sneap/30% miked tone). No quantizing or editing on the drums...Mainly because I don't know how to do it right, lol.

Guitars were my ESP Viper with 18 volt EMG 81's through a 6505+ and a XXX. 2 tracks 6505+, 2 tracks XXX with each side getting a 6505+ and XXX track. Cab was one of my Madison 4x12's with Celestion Vintage 30's, miked on axis with a single 57 about an inch outside where the dustcap meets the cone, about 2 inches from the grill.

Bass was tracked DI, an LTD B-500. I used a healthy dose of compression and Cubendo's own QuadraFuzz along with some EQ (still not happy with the bass tone).

Vocals were tracked with a Samson C02 condenser.

My interface and setup is Profire 2626 into Nuendo 3.

Far from pro level, and my gear is cheap, but this is a demo. For me and how I work, this was one of the fastest mixes for my band I've done, so until we record them "for real" (i.e. for release), this will suffice.

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/Victim_of_Mine_FINAL_041609.mp3

thanks. My biggest problem area is bass guitar, well at least to me...I'm sure you can pick apart other things.

Taking this to the next level, I know I'll want better OH mics, possibly miking more cymbals than just a stereo pair.

Better bass tones...If it's DI, I wanna make sure we get as good a sound as we can. I have the Ampeg SVX plugin, but it didn't do much for these tracks...using quadrafuzz and C4 got me better results.

I've got a few new mics to try out, and I ditched the CAD drum mics in favor of just using Ddrum Pro triggers. Snare will still be miked.

guitar tones could use some tweaking, but meh.

Wow dude, sounds really good! Did you post this on the espboards? I might've missed it!

I posted some snippets here and there Shreddy. I don't know if I posted the whole song. It's been on Myspace for while and I think I posted a link to that. But I thought I'd take my chances here on this forum to see what others had to say...haha!

Yeah i've heard parts of this song before, just not this version! Btw, check out my song if you've got the time!

Wow, the full-quality version sounds so much better!

I'm not entirely sure if it's my lame-ass speakers, but I think I hear some clipping from time to time.

I like how the bass and guitars are working together, tho. Real big and chunky all around. I honestly wouldn't say that's a problem, Nate.

Sounds really good man! Looks like you've already addressed and are aware of everything that needs work. :headbang: