Rate my mix? (real guitars/drums)

May 13, 2010
Trying to go for a fat, analog sounding vibe that doesn't sound too fat when things get fast later on. I'm trying to get something that sounds like Clayman, at least in the low end, but still has its own sound.

Guitars left and right are Jackson DKMG -> 6505+ -> avatar 4x12 with vintage 30's. ->fredman mic'd with 57's

Drums were recorded in a shitty practice room. Snare is 50/50 blended with snare 17 from SSD, and toms are replaced 100%.

Bass is TSE B.O.D.

Don't mind the vocals, I know they are kind of sloppy. But this was one of my old band's songs, and I'm not longer playing with them anymore. I'm just mixing this to get practice.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=27755

Like: Guitars, song structure, "vibe" and warmth, almost early 90's thrash or early BM maybe? When the top end of the bass is audible, its good.

Dislike: Vocals (but I'm not the biggest BM fan anyway), drums (kick and snare) and bass get lost in the slower sections under the wall of guitar, so maybe some volume automation or gating in faster sections to get the volume more consistent?

Nice to hear something with a different, more live feel on this forum though.
Getting a bit tired of that djenty, laptop metal sound ATM.

Thanks for listening. I agree ith you about the kick and snare. I really need to start using more automation, I just started learning it a few weeks ago. This particular track has no automation on it. But I should definitely start learning it though. Up until now I've just tried to mix everything to a sweet spot so everything sounds good from start to finish, but I know that it's not really possible to get the best, clearest sounding mix that way.