Help needed!!!

megamore

Aug 15, 2004
Denmark
Hey guys - I'm new to the Sneap board :) Anyway, wanted to ask if anyone could help me finding a good bass-simulation program (or vsti plugin ) which is very good for metal music? I'm about to record some of my songs but since I don't have a bassist I need a computer program! Thx in advance... :)

Don't know of any bass software or soft synths that are suitable for metal, but some of the guys here pitch shift their guitars down an octave to reasonable effect. Maybe that's an option.

I use Native Instruments Hardcore Bass and I get really good results out of it. It's very nice if you want the bass to fill out the lowend and just do what most metal bassplayers do, but it's not so good if you want it to play on its own.
It sounds great in a mix(even though it takes some time to learn how to use it properly.)
It sounds... not so good on its own.

i think backmask has used Kontakt in the past, and it sounded pretty solid. in the mix it had me fooled for a few weeks, it wasn't until i had kazrog solo out the bass and drums on the old stuff that i could tell.

doc_backmask said:
i think backmask has used Kontakt in the past, and it sounded pretty solid. in the mix it had me fooled for a few weeks, it wasn't until i had kazrog solo out the bass and drums on the old stuff that i could tell.

Yeah I used Kontakt on "Transmission" and many previous recordings (although it will be replaced by doc's real bass on the final version.) Specifically, I was using the Will Lee bass Gigastudio library inside Kontakt.

However, I think Spectrasonics' Trilogy sounds more promising. Check it out:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilogy.html

Kazrog said:
Yeah I used Kontakt on "Transmission" and many previous recordings (although it will be replaced by doc's real bass on the final version.) Specifically, I was using the Will Lee bass Gigastudio library inside Kontakt.

However, I think Spectrasonics' Trilogy sounds more promising. Check it out:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilogy.html

Yes, Spectrasonics Trilogy is my weapon of choice. I haven't brought out my Esh bass since I got that. It's one of the pieces of software I warezed, tried and immediately bought after only a day or two (that's what I usually do when I like/use something).

I can't think of a track of mine that doesn't have Trilogy on it (be it rock, pop, metal or electro) - sometimes I even use it to replace the bass player after he has left the studio ... ;)

I tried Trilogy, and preferred the sound of Hardcore Bass XP. I believe Mendel and Black Neon Bob, both still use the Clawfinger Reason bass.