help! weird midi issue, hopefully someone is a techy

SyXified

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
www.unholymothers.com
Okay, so I'm playing along to a midi learning new Dream Theater stuff and I notice that I'm out of tune. So I click into my tuner and it turns out I'm perfectly in tune - yet I remain out of tune to the midi and all other midi files I try out. I checked against a regular CD and my guitar is definitely tuned correctly to E standard. Yet what my computers midi output which claims to be the same tuning, while in tune to itself between tracks, is definitely not playing back in correct tuning. Is there some weird way the overall frequency of my midi playback could have gotten bumped off of the correct Hz values? If anyone can help with this whacky issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Check your tuning compared to the tuning of the particular song. Secondly, if everything is right, then you should be able to adjust the settings in whatever DAW you're using for MIDI. For example, you should be able to set A = 440Hz and adjust that value.

Check your tuning compared to the tuning of the particular song. Secondly, if everything is right, then you should be able to adjust the settings in whatever DAW you're using for MIDI. For example, you should be able to set A = 440Hz and adjust that value.

What you said is precisely what I want to find and do but I can't seem to figure out where I can make that adjustment. I was reading a forum and I guess sometimes midi's you download can change that setting. I downloaded a power tab and a guitar pro tab recently that may have done it. Do you know what program I can use to access that setting to redefine A back to 440Hz? I have the usual Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth , but can't find any info on how to make that manipulation, everything on microsoft says to reinstall the driver/program.

I checked the tuning against the song and several other songs on different programs, they are all off by the same amount, about 50 cents flat. It's like my primary midi note definitions all got bumped that same direction

My old computer had that problem/still has that problem, but it only did it sometimes. I'd get lucky once in a while and it would be in tune.

Now, I know I'm not giong nuts because I actually put my tuner next to the speakers and it was just a bit flat. I still don't know how to fix that shit, but I also used GW Wavetable Synth so that might be the problem.

I've never had to change the actual midi settings in Windows. I didn't even know that was possible. I suggest instead correcting the difference in whatever program you ARE using.

The thing is my midi playback is messed up by the same amount in whatever program I use for playback. I DLed Band in a Box because it has a master tuner that can resent A to 440 Hz, which I did, but the pitch that results is still flat of what actually is A when I compare it to various external tuning devices. Somehow the definition must be truly corrupted, I may have to try uninstalling and reinstalling a bunch of sound cards. Thanks for the advice guys, sadly it seems something is really royally messed up. I guess I can always just bite the bullet and buy a good sound card.