Help with bridge

Jeffy

Radioactive Sea Cucumber
Jun 7, 2004
Colorado
Hey I've been playing for a while now and I realized how little I know about the bridge on my (or any other for that matter) guitar. It is a regular tremolo, as in not floyd rose. I've really stayed away from using the tremolo bar because it always goes out of tune and I have no idea how to fix that. So basically I'm an idiot and don't know how to adjust anything on my guitar. I was also wondering what exactly a truss rod is. Thanks for your help and time!

Truss rod adjusts the bow on the neck. About the trem... Some are better than others, but unless you have some kind of locking trem or locking tuners, it's not going to hold up tuning very well. A Wilkinson tremolo and locking tuners go a long way in keeping your guitar in tune if you play with your trem a lot.

Indiooo said:
locking tuners go a long way in keeping your guitar in tune if you play with your trem a lot.

Or, a locking nut. :)

By the way, it's not a tremolo; it's a vibrato. Tremolo is a playing technique.

aren't the locking tremolos the ones that aren't Floyd Rose? If a locking nut pretty much keeps a floating tremolo in tune, why wouldn't have an effect on a set bridge? It would lock the strings down not letting the strings get loosened and tightened on the machine head...

Floyd Rose is a double locking trem. The strings are locked at the bridge and at the nut. Just using the nut with a fixed bridge or a non locking trem doesn't work because when you tighten the nut, the strings go sharp, and not all by the same amount. Not having a way to tune them at the bridge like a Floyd results in a guitar out of tune.

Okay thanks for the help... I'm afraid I have a few more questions lol. How and where do I adjust the truss rod? And what exactly do you mean when you say "locking" tremolo/nut?

Locking means the strings are locked at the nut and/or at the bridge.

Your guitar has a screw either at the headstock (maybe with a plastic cover) or at the end of the fretboard (you may have to remove the neck for truss rod adjustment if that's the case). Be careful! 1/4 of a turn each day if you don't know exactly what you're doing.