Help with Gibson LP

Vuts

Jul 14, 2005
Athens, Greece
www.fourwalls.gr
He guys
I want buy a Les Paul but i need one with emgs installed
Is there a factory model that comes with EMGs?
I dont want a signature model like Zakk Wylde's
just a Standard or a Studio model

would you recommend a LP model for metal tone? and what about theis custom pickups?
damn i m confused!! please shed some light

I'm sure I've seen some kind of Gothic model with EMG's, but why don't you just buy an LTD EC-1000/ ESP Eclipse?

anybody using this guitar or LP custom playing metal stuff?
I am using a Gibson Les Paul Standard (no modifications at all, stock pickups) for metal (and other styles). The output of the pickups is far below my (former) EMG-equipped Charvel (mahogany/maple body, mahogany neck as well) and the bass it not as tight. On the other side, I get a very organic and musical sound with lots of bass (that's the reason for being not as tight). So this LP is perfect for a Pro-Pain kind of sound but maybe not the right thing for Dimmu Borgir stuff. If you go for a Classic, you'll get the hotter Gibson pickups which are said to be far better for metal but don't deliver the classic Les Paul sound (which you definitely don't want, if you talk about EMGs).
There is a nice-looking black EMG-equipped Epiphone Les Paul out there, but I guess you want a real Gibson (like I did).

yes thats true - i would like a Gibson not an epiphone
i m trying to understand the diff between the LP Custom and the LP Custom Classic

i know they have different pickups

the LP custom has the 490 and 498
the LP custom classic has the 57 plus and the 57

what i dont know is how do they sound! there is always the case of switching to the emg 81/85 but i would love to know all the details before i pay all that money

so pls if anyone is experienced on LP's share your knowledge

thanks !

Yeah, if you want the REAL DEAL, buy the Gibson. Don't get me wrong ESP's and LTD's are great guitars, but there is only one true Les Paul. I prefer the Les Paul Standards, personally, but that is based on the feel of the neck for me. I generally play '67 Flying V's and SG's so, I like the faster necks, as opposed to the fat, ball-bat necks on the Customs.

Also, just from a "Gibson lover" stand point... You may consider the idea of trying to find a used one. Regardless, I never buy one off the internet. Gibson has gone through a lot of up's and down's over the years, as far as wood and build quality. They've never been "bad", but some years have been WAY better than others. My suggestion is to play a bunch of them, until you find the one that feels and sounds like "home".

Best of luck bro.

I use a les paul classic for metal.

the stock pickups are not that bad, just not as clear as good duncan or emg, I prefer duncan pickups myself, since my amp doesn't work that wel with emg's.

Les Pauls are good for metal.

The Classic Custom is pretty new. It has standard inlays, holly headstock inlay, no pickguard and yellow binding. imo it looks amazing!
The '57 pickups - the name kind of gives it away. they are pretty 'vintage', alnico II magnets, will give you the classic les paul tone. it has open pole pieces on this guitar.

The Custom (a little more expensive i think) has a pickguard, custom inlays and the 490/498 pickups, which have alnico II/V magnets, the V giving more treble/upper middrange. these are better rock/metal pickups.

on looks i'd go with the classic custom, sound i'd go custom! putting emg's in one of those will give an awesome metal guitar but kind of defeats the object of getting the les paul!

Yeah, I don't particularly agree with putting EMG's in a Gibson. They have GREAT tone, to start off with. If you want a hotter signal, you put a hotter Duncan in there or something. Find one that works well with the Mahogany or Mahogany/Maple build/tone of the guitar, like a JB or Duncan Distortion. I know people swear by EMG's because it's easy to. But, you've got guys like Mike Amott (Arch Enemy) and Mike Schliebaum (Darkest Hour) using JB's for years now, and Eric Peterson (TestAmenT) has been using Duncan Distortion's forever. Matter of fact, most of my favorite shredders don't even use actives. John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Skolnick... etc. But hey... To each his own.

try to avoid the les pauls with chambered body's too, those don't have the heavy sound of the others.

think les paul standards all have this now, not sure about the others, ask gibson to be sure wish models are chambered.

weight relieve holes are ok though, they don't take away that much wood.

or forget about that and just get an explorer :)

really appreciate all the input guy thanks

Ravenous Enemy you are right - The Custom Classic looks amazing and yes the Custom is a bit more expensive

So from what you guys are saying i get that either way i would have to change pick ups in order to get a better metal sound - even if i get one with the 490/498 pair and not the 57's which are more vintage. Good cause i was prepared for that:lol:

now about the emgs or the duncans Tommy Gun you are right there are lots of people using the passives but on the other hand there are too many with the actives like Zakk Wylde for example or even Bjorn Gilotte (inflames)

anyway this is a different discussion i believe
my concern was if i could use a LP for metal stuff - and good thing is that even if i want to get a rock or blues sound i ll have the pair of 57's and that great gibson tone

i see my self buying that new custom classic
Gibson Custom Classic

I'd get a second hand les paul custom for that amount of money. Shouldn't be that hard to find.

That Custom Classic is a damn nice axe! I'd still try to find somewhere that you can "play before you pay" though.

Also:
try to avoid the les pauls with chambered body's too, those don't have the heavy sound of the others.

think les paul standards all have this now, not sure about the others, ask gibson to be sure wish models are chambered.

weight relieve holes are ok though, they don't take away that much wood.

or forget about that and just get an explorer :)

The Les Paul Standards, Classics, Studios, and Supremes are all using Weight Relief Chambering only. This has been researched by Gibson's luthiers, and gone over with a fine tooth comb. It does not compromise tone. Gibson's guitars that have traditional, tonal chambering, including some LP models, are clearly labeled "Chambered Les Paul..."
Here is a link:
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Chambering the Les Paul_ A Mar/

I have a Les Paul standard with a DiMarzio D-Sonic and it rules. Wouldn't change a thing about the guitar now. Matter a fact I'm gonna go play it cause I haven't shown it any love for awhile. haha.