Help with left hand

Kohlrabihaus

Minister of Silly Walks
Sep 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
hi, i have problem that i am working on for quite some time now but somehow it seems that there is no progress... i try to have a better left hand position. like chris uses when playing classical. i think it affecs on both classical AND electric playing. so my problem is that my pinky is not close enough to the fretboard. i worked on it and it´s getting better, but i still see it, when playing the chromatic scale.
but the second thing is that i cannot really strech between my second and my third finger. this is really making me mad, because there are some chords i just cannot play, or chromatics on the 7´th string very low at the fretboard ist very difficult for me...
so i hope some of you understand what i mean, hehe and maybe u have some tips for me, that would be so great!!
:wave:

Hey Kohlrabihaus, I've never had this problem so I don't really have a perfect solution to it. Chris is classically trained so you'll pretty much always see him using "proper" fingerings. Most of the time I play on my left leg (classical style) because it makes certain things easier to play and you have better technique this way. So the best way I can think of to try to address your problem would be to work on "finger independence". Here's an excercise that you can work on.

The bold numbers above and below the tab are the fingerings. While your playing these, any fingers your are not using to fret notes should be resting on the 3rd(G) string. Note I said resting on it and not pressing down. Anyway I hope this is somewhat clear and I hope it helps your problem. Maybe Chris can give you some more advice when he gets back from Europe next week. Feel free to ask any questions if this isn't clear.

Good luck, Drewski:)

Well, keep in mind the one BIG rule: Your fingers will only do what you teach (or allow) them to do.

You have to be in total control of how high up your fingers are coming after playing a note. This of course is done by tons of repetition at stupid-slow tempos...while being FOCUSED!

Think back to when you learned to write or print. You teacher made the class write lines and lines of the letter A. They told you to "go slow and watch your form". Now, if asked to write your name, I'm sure you could do so in less than 3 seconds. It's also safe to say that people with sloppy hand-writing probably were the least foucused on correct form when doing all those lines.

The point of all this is to realize that we all learn "skills" the same way (through careful repetition). So, if keeping your fingers close to the fretboard is a priority to you, then implement the "careful reps" to any lick you're working on and focus on the delinquent fingers.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as gibberish!

:Spin: thank you guys.
@drewski:
yeah, i do play so myself, not only when playing classical guitar, but everytime. and i will work on your exercise! thanks.

@jazzIII: thanks, it does NOT come across as gibberish :) you are totally right!!!

now what is more important for my playing right now, is the second problem i mentionend!!!
i try to explain it again:

my left hand fingers 2 and 3 in their connection are the problem!!! i can strech between the others but those refuse to do. as an example:
when i play chromatic ascending on one string and rest each finger on that fret after being played- that´s were it gets to the point:

-5-6-7-8- is no problem of course!

either playing -4--6-7-8- (spread between 1 and 2) nor -5-6-7--9- (between 3 and 4)

the problem comes when trying to play this: -5-6--8-9-

were i have to spread my fingers 2 and 3. hope you understand what i mean, hard to desribe :oops:

thanks again for your help, maybe you have something for this problem?!?

nicco

Kohlrabihaus said:
:Spin: thank you guys.
@drewski:
yeah, i do play so myself, not only when playing classical guitar, but everytime. and i will work on your exercise! thanks.

@jazzIII: thanks, it does NOT come across as gibberish :) you are totally right!!!

now what is more important for my playing right now, is the second problem i mentionend!!!
i try to explain it again:

my left hand fingers 2 and 3 in their connection are the problem!!! i can strech between the others but those refuse to do. as an example:
when i play chromatic ascending on one string and rest each finger on that fret after being played- that´s were it gets to the point:

-5-6-7-8- is no problem of course!

either playing -4--6-7-8- (spread between 1 and 2) nor -5-6-7--9- (between 3 and 4)

the problem comes when trying to play this: -5-6--8-9-

were i have to spread my fingers 2 and 3. hope you understand what i mean, hard to desribe :oops:

thanks again for your help, maybe you have something for this problem?!?

nicco

I know what your saying...that's the same issue I deal with as well. What helps greatly is watching the angle your fingers make to the frets; try to keep them as parallel to the frets as possible. This may require a slight shift of your ARM to be closer to your body. Kinda hard to explain.

Other than that, I'd say to practice that stretch higher up on the fretboard first, then gradually work your way down. As you can imagine this will take time to feel comfortable with. Good luck!

Hey Kohlrabihaus

All of these exercises and ideas are very good. I would also add that the reason you want your finger close is not because of distance but the efficient use you energy. You have to remember that to hold your 4th finger at any distance requires energy that you have trained you finger to do. You need to clarify to your finger that you do not need that effort for what you are playing in your other fingers. As far as your 2-3 extension that is a matter of clarifying effort with development of your extension. I recommend planting you 2nd finger on any fret and sliding 3 forward and back a fret, and then further. If this is a problem then use your right hand to aid until the left can do it on its own.

Keep me posted on how things develop, Chris.

man, chris, you are just great!!! thanks for your patience with us non- pros´.
your help is much appreciated! when things go well, i will take your online lessons! but beware maybe i want 2 lessons a day, haha ;)
i will work and focus on these things before getting back to speed training. sure i tell you how it works!!!

anyway i hope to have some music online that i might share with you and the other guys here...

Kohlrabihaus said:
man, chris, you are just great!!! thanks for your patience with us non- pros´.
your help is much appreciated! when things go well, i will take your online lessons! but beware maybe i want 2 lessons a day, haha ;)
i will work and focus on these things before getting back to speed training. sure i tell you how it works!!!

anyway i hope to have some music online that i might share with you and the other guys here...
Your Welcome.
yeah lets hear some music!!!!
Take care, Chris.

Reading all these things I feel like a really amateur.
Haha.. It`s weird I know how to hold a guitar.. Haha.. Just kiddin` guys.
I learn a lot just reading all the tips Chris gives and not to forget all of you other guys. I`ll NEVER get as good as any of you.
Guess I sound like a bitch that want pity, but I just envy you all and not to forget I :worship: :worship: you. :Spin:

Carline said:
Reading all these things I feel like a really amateur.
Haha.. It`s weird I know how to hold a guitar.. Haha.. Just kiddin` guys.
I learn a lot just reading all the tips Chris gives and not to forget all of you other guys. I`ll NEVER get as good as any of you.
Guess I sound like a bitch that want pity, but I just envy you all and not to forget I :worship: :worship: you. :Spin:

Thanks Carline,
but remember I can't sing.......................that well any way.

Take care, Chris.

hi, jo... i have been working on this topic a bit, and it helps!!!! thanks, i hope to have things working well until new year.... unfortunately i have to learn many metallica solos since i am helping a coverband as their "kirk" has no time to play the next tour... we will play before 1000 people on the biggest show :D will be great me thinks... well, the problem is that i need do work on my speed now. so i cannot really concentrate on that lefthand technique thing :(

maybe i can make a useful practise schedule to get rid of the time dilemma, hehe

chris:
some music will be presented soon!!!