New 7 String:No fretboard inlays problem

HvM

New Metal Member
Hi Chris and everyone,

I've just bought my first 7 string guitar last month! I always had a "thing" for sevens, although I never played one...I just bought it and It's funny that I got used to it, playing leads (scales, arpeggios, etc.) in 30mins(!!) rhythm was bit trickier because I always go for the heavier string and then realize that is not the 6th but the 7th string. :p

But either way, my problem is this: The fretboard doesn't have inlays, and up until now I never realized that I unconsciously look at the inlays. Now, without inlay, I have to consciously look at the side dots to be able to locate me in the correct fretboard fret. Well. I’m having a bit of an hard time trying to get used to it, and remember to ask how you (Chris and everyone), how did you got used to the first guitar without fretboard inlays.
There are times that I look to the side dots, see the fret need to be in, and miss it...I get the fingers on the previous or next frets. errr....really annoying.

I think It's matter of time, but some times, I really get lost in leads to the point that I look at the fretboard and feel completely blind! I never realized that I was so inlay dependent until now! :-S

So what kind of advices do you have about this problem? Some tips, etc. :)
How hard was for you to get used to it?

Thanks in advance,
Hugo

Hi Chris and everyone,

I've just bought my first 7 string guitar last month! I always had a "thing" for sevens, although I never played one...I just bought it and It's funny that I got used to it, playing leads (scales, arpeggios, etc.) in 30mins(!!) rhythm was bit trickier because I always go for the heavier string and then realize that is not the 6th but the 7th string. :p

But either way, my problem is this: The fretboard doesn't have inlays, and up until now I never realized that I unconsciously look at the inlays. Now, without inlay, I have to consciously look at the side dots to be able to locate me in the correct fretboard fret. Well. I’m having a bit of an hard time trying to get used to it, and remember to ask how you (Chris and everyone), how did you got used to the first guitar without fretboard inlays.
There are times that I look to the side dots, see the fret need to be in, and miss it...I get the fingers on the previous or next frets. errr....really annoying.

I think It's matter of time, but some times, I really get lost in leads to the point that I look at the fretboard and feel completely blind! I never realized that I was so inlay dependent until now! :-S

So what kind of advices do you have about this problem? Some tips, etc. :)
How hard was for you to get used to it?

Thanks in advance,
Hugo
Hey Hugo,

I think you are right, it's just time. I have had the luxury of learning on a classical guitar which has no markers or dots, so you have to rely on feel. I would recommend practicing with it and doing simple shift exercises (first time looking second through 4th not looking). Then when you play out use another guitar until you are comfortable with it.
Take care, Chris.

Hey again,

Just a quick update on this....might be helpful for someone with same problem.

It's really a matter of practice and get used to it.
In other guitars with fret inlays, I've noticed that I was leaning to much forward with my head, to be able to see the fretboard from an upward vision perspective (If you know what I mean), almost seeing the fretboard flat (exagerated example for the explanation sake). With a guitar without fretboard inlays and only with fretmarkers on the sides, you have to keep your visual perspective from above the sides of the fretboard, so the fretmarkers on the side are in the line of sight with your fingers on the frets while playing. It requires you to consciously do this at the beginning, if you were used to guitars with fretboard inlays, but it's just a matter of time and practice to correct yourself until it feels natural.

Can't explain better since english is not my main language...I hope it was sufficient to understand that you just have to "tweak" your playing posture and practice until you get used to it.

Cheers,
Hugo

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the response Chris...I thought I had posted a thanks reply and apparently I haven't...my brain tricked me. :p

if their are dots ont eh side of the neck, that will help. if not, jsut use a white shrpy and put very small dots on the side of the neck facing you. that should help