Visualising the Fretboard. How does Chris do it?

Bjoern

New Metal Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hey Chris,

I was wondering how you see the fretboard while playing scales. Do you think "Well ok i want to play C-Lydian now. The Notes are C D E F# G A B" and see them on the fretboard or are you working with 3 Note-per-String patterns (or maybe even 4). Do you also see where the different intervals are located all over the fretboard?

I hope this question isn't to stupid ;) I'd just like to know how your brain plays the guitar while your fingers do the rest :D

Thanks in advance :)
Björn

P.S. : Before i forget to ask. How do you practice your way of visualising?

Hey Chris,

I was wondering how you see the fretboard while playing scales. Do you think "Well ok i want to play C-Lydian now. The Notes are C D E F# G A B" and see them on the fretboard or are you working with 3 Note-per-String patterns (or maybe even 4). Do you also see where the different intervals are located all over the fretboard?

I hope this question isn't to stupid ;) I'd just like to know how your brain plays the guitar while your fingers do the rest :D

Thanks in advance :)
Björn

P.S. : Before i forget to ask. How do you practice your way of visualising?
Hey Bjorn,

I try to see all of those things and more, but it really depends on the situation that will determine which memory you will use (ex... If I am improving I will look for chord tones to phase the changes [note on the fret board], if I am playing very fast, I will use scale patterns [muscle memory].

Hope this helps, Chris.

Hey Bjorn,

I try to see all of those things and more, but it really depends on the situation that will determine which memory you will use (ex... If I am improving I will look for chord tones to phase the changes [note on the fret board], if I am playing very fast, I will use scale patterns [muscle memory].

Hope this helps, Chris.

Also, if you can't tell by the time Chris replied at, staying up really late and practicing all the time will help too

Thanks a lot Chris. This really helped me out :)

@zak1 : When I have time i will practice about 3 hours a day minimum up to 6 or 8 hours ;). I was just a little unsure about my way of fretboard visualsing because a had a little discomfort here and there. Just needed a little push :)