Bought an Engl SE, how do I set it Chris?

Lurch

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
I got a killer deal on an SE 760 6L6. Awesome amp, but I'm having trouble finding a thick, ultra-heavy tone because of all of the options (it's a little overwhelming).

Chris, I watched the YouTube video of you practicing for Nevermore using the SE (EL34 version with Blue lights I think?) and I figured out all of the push buttons that were in/out, but I can't see the knobs (Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Presence). I tried the settings from your Powerball thread, but they don't transfer over well to the SE.

Any help dude?:worship:

Maybe you like the Powerball better anyway?

Buying an amp that sounds good to you, with your playing is usually the best way to go. If it doesn't suit your playing, it's not worth the buy, regardless of price.

Having said that, now that it is yours, spend some time with it. Don't expect "the" tone over night. Try one setting and play through it for some time. See what YOU need more of, or less of. For all you know, Chris could have a really thick palmute technique and needs the bass down low, where your technique might need more bass. You might like a more sizzling, cut through tone compared to Chris.

It's all very subjetive and asking for other people's settings won't get you any closer to their tone.

Good luck with the new amp.

^ All very true, thanks.

Just looking for a good starting point since this thing seems hard to dial in- like a Mesa. Took me years to finally get a great rhythm sound with the Dual Rectifier because I was missing an input booster to tighten it up, but the Mesa clean and lead sounds still suck.

Unfortunately so far, I like the Mesa better. Guess I need professional help.:loco:

did you get the manual with this thing?
I played thru one at the Boston Guitar show a couple of weeks ago
and shit there are a ton of
settings that subtly change your tone.
I loved it and if I had the cash I would've bought it home with me.
Take some time pick one channel at a time and try dialing it in.
These don't look like easy amps to "tweak", so be patient, I got a great
very "modern" tone out of the one I was playing thru (with a suhr strat)
but it took me a while. I had a friend play while I tweaked, it helped a lot.
BTW congrats , I'm very jealous :kickass:

I got a killer deal on an SE 760 6L6. Awesome amp, but I'm having trouble finding a thick, ultra-heavy tone because of all of the options (it's a little overwhelming).

Chris, I watched the YouTube video of you practicing for Nevermore using the SE (EL34 version with Blue lights I think?) and I figured out all of the push buttons that were in/out, but I can't see the knobs (Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Presence). I tried the settings from your Powerball thread, but they don't transfer over well to the SE.

Any help dude?:worship:

Maybe you like the Powerball better anyway?

I love the SE because it's so versitile, and it has become my amp of choice, now don't get me wrong I still use the Powerball and love it (both shows in Japan), but the SE is like 10 amps in one. As far as tone I would tell you to just experiment because it's so individual and dependent on your other gear that your ear will tell you much better then I could.

good luck, Chris.

on a related sidenote, chris, any word on what engl amp jeff's going to be using?

well, back on topic: lurch, good luck with finding your tone ;-) i'm convinced there's some crushing metal sounds lurking in there.

on a related sidenote, chris, any word on what engl amp jeff's going to be using?

well, back on topic: lurch, good luck with finding your tone ;-) i'm convinced there's some crushing metal sounds lurking in there.

He used the Invader 100 while on tour, but I think he is going to get an SE.

Take care, Chris.

I found a KILLER sound on the SE:headbang:

I decided to change to tubes to Mullard reissue EL34's instead of the 6L6's, and I found out the tube selector switch was set to EL34 from the factory with 6L6 tubes in it!??? No wonder it didn't sound good.

I'm surprised your head didn't fry, the biasing is so different between those two
tube types.
BTW the SE I tried was an EL34 model.
I wish I could afford one just an amazing amp.
I guess I'll have to make do with my JSX. :cry:

Late response to an old thread, but I thought it should be pointed out for information purposes.

The ENGL SE is set up to run extremely hot 6L6 tubes. If you don't have extremely hot tubes it is perfectly fine to bias 6L6 tubes on the EL34 setting as long as it's biased correctly. I learned this directly from ENGL support.