Help with practice techniques

Dead Winter Reigns

New Metal Member
Feb 6, 2005
I am a huge Jag Panzer fan and this is my first time posting on the board. I play guitar and I have a problem with making a solid practice schedule becuase I work and go to college which takes up a lot of my time. I get paranoid because I never know if I am playing enough or if I am practing the right techniques. I wanted to know if you can give me any advice on creating a proper practice schedule. Sorry it's such an open ended question but any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.. I pray that you guys tour the U.S. this year Casting the Stones was such a great album

Maybe it depends on how long you play guitar already. My first year was like hell. I didn't play very much because I sucked anyway. Then suddenly I made a jump and I played better within a small time and it was funner to play. When it's funner to play you play even more ofcourse. The following thing is maybe stupid to say but just buy yourself a goddamn expensive guitar and I'm sure you're going to make time to play then. It's like a copied game or one that you buy in a store. The one you buy in the store you play MUCH MUCH more and I also enjoy it more then just a copy. (strange) I don't think you're about to do that so let me think.. What is exactly the problem, do you like playing guitar but u don't have time or don't u really like to play all the time because you ain't busy that long already?

Dead Winter Reigns said:
I am a huge Jag Panzer fan and this is my first time posting on the board. I play guitar and I have a problem with making a solid practice schedule becuase I work and go to college which takes up a lot of my time. I get paranoid because I never know if I am playing enough or if I am practing the right techniques. I wanted to know if you can give me any advice on creating a proper practice schedule. Sorry it's such an open ended question but any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.. I pray that you guys tour the U.S. this year Casting the Stones was such a great album
Hey Dead Winter Reigns,
I recomend 2 things:
1 realize that your goal of accomplishment on the guitar should be long term. Meaning when you practice a riff repeat it 5 to 10 times and move on to the next riff. There have been studies that show, after 5 to 10 repetitions you get far less benefit from staying on that riff or passage. This way you can cover a lot in less time, and soon you'll find that you can play the hell out of those riffs.
2 Focus during the limited time you have, don't just noodle and call it good. Practice specific things you would like to improve upon.
Hope this helps, Chris.

Thanks for your help. I never knew knew that you should limit playing the same riff so few times I would always keep repeating till i finally got it. Thanks again and I'll post more questions when I have them. and Chris if your ever decide to give lessons in New York I'll be the first one there.

Dead Winter Reigns said:
Thanks for your help. I never knew knew that you should limit playing the same riff so few times I would always keep repeating till i finally got it. Thanks again and I'll post more questions when I have them. and Chris if your ever decide to give lessons in New York I'll be the first one there.
Sweet!!!
Chris.