help with soundcard problem

Ravenous Enemy

hell alive
Mar 24, 2003
City of Steel
hey... I was wondering if anyone could help:

I recenltly accidently connected the output of my computer speaker to the soundcard output on the computer (stupid, i know [i think]), and (i think) since then I have not been able to direct record from my v-amp to the computer into Cubase. The input 'monitor' bar just shows the input as clipping 'in the yellow' all the time, even when there's nothing plugged into the input. Any one know what's going on? I can still play music on the computer etc. as normal. If I monitor the sound in Cubase it just sounds like a loud hum, and in cakewalk, no sound at all.

I'll probably get a new soundcard soon as the one I've got is pretty crap - would that fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ravenous Enemy said:
hey... I was wondering if anyone could help:

I recenltly accidently connected the output of my computer speaker to the soundcard output on the computer (stupid, i know [i think]), and (i think) since then I have not been able to direct record from my v-amp to the computer into Cubase. The input 'monitor' bar just shows the input as clipping 'in the yellow' all the time, even when there's nothing plugged into the input. Any one know what's going on? I can still play music on the computer etc. as normal. If I monitor the sound in Cubase it just sounds like a loud hum, and in cakewalk, no sound at all.

I'll probably get a new soundcard soon as the one I've got is pretty crap - would that fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

did you restart already?

yes. It's been like this for a while. I don't think the soundcard's blown up or anything though. The input to the soundcard was always a bit dodgy as well...

Try uninstalling the card and reinstalling it....

You may also want to just shutting the computer down. Taking the card out and putting it back in. Sometimes dust gets in the PCI or ISA slot and makes all kinds of screwed up things happen....

Da Fukn Guru

hey.thanks for the advice... but unfortunately: no luck.
(Sorry to bother people)...

I've uninstalled and re-installed the soundcard, now the situation is different. In cubase, pre uninstallation, clicking the 'monitor' button would give me a loud 'click', then loud noise, then the noise would quieten rapidly, as if an autogain control was adjusting it or something. Now, if I click 'monitor' there is no click, but a very gradual increase in noise. this is a strange noise - like a whiring, pulsing electronic noise that eventually reaches white noise. However, if I drag the monitoring over to the right speaker only, the noise dies down. This all happens regardless of anything plugged in the the soundcard input.
Also, if I record, whatever is playing at the same time (e.g. midi drums) gets recorded. Anyone know whats going on? It's as if the soundcard output is connected directly to the inout or something??
ta

Well, I believe that in your windows recording settings the soundcard is set to record the stereo output.

Maybe it's the feedback of the monitor being reproduced in the stereo output, being reproduced in the monitor (because it's settled to record the stereo output), and repeating the process amplifying and resulting in the weird feedback.

Click in the volume settings, then go to recording properties, and see if it's the "Line In" that's selected. If it's checked in the "Stereo Mix" or something similar, uncheck it. Might be it.

Sorry if I haven't made myself clear about the "volume settings", my windows is in portuguese.

no that's fine - thanks for the help, you're probably right, but the problem's still persisting. one thing I noticed is that in the Audio device properties > Audio > Sound Recording > Volume menu, none the of the 'Select' boxes are selectable (i.e. the mic, line in, mono mix boxes). You click the select box and nothing happens.. could be something to do w/ it.
I think I'll get new souncard anyway. any recommendations for decent but affordable ones for recording?
Cheers

thanks. by the way LynchpiN you were exactly right. if you go to volume control > options > adjust volume for recording, then select to show the 'stereo mix' control, the box is permanently selected and that's why I can't select any of the other inputs tho'. but i'm still no closer to fixing it!

Is the m-audio 2496 still a good option for a new soundcard?