Problems with cubase SX 2

Try to find an ASIO driver specific to your Audigy and use that instead of the generic "ASIO Multimedia Driver".

See what else is in the ASIO dropdown menu. It might already be installed.

749ms of output latency? Ouch. Are you sure you're waiting long enough to hear audio after you hit play? :p

You should learn some basics about computer recording first, no offense. It is not just about using Cubase and reading manual, you have to know about whole thing.

Anyway, first you have to switch to Audigy Asio driver. It will switch your card to 48Khz and you will get option to enable direct monitoring on the same page.

Now you can apply it. One of the things you also could do is to enable 24 bit recording in settings. Then at the left in the arrangment, activate inspector so you can overview channel without opening mixer. Now check what soundcard in is selected for chosen track, because your guitar is mono, in mono track, only left in will work properly, and in stereo track you will hear only left side.

As you did not explained what are you actually using for recording guitar: If it is some kind of guitar processor, it should go to the line in of the audigy, be sure that you can hear yourself when playing. You should hear guitar even if there is no monitoring enabled, and YOU SHOULD NOT activate it, because you wil hear guitar doubled, original sound, and monitored sound.
If you are using guitar directly into card and want to use some kind of software ampsim, you should plug it into proper DI box and then into mic in. In case you don't have DI box, use some kind of guitar processor with all effects turned off. Then you should mute soundcard in using system mixer (not cubase mixer) open plugin, and enable monitoring on track to hear your guitar, disable after playing to hear recorded guitar.
If you don't have a proper DI guitar will sound probably really bad but for the price you have paid for the cubase and audigy...Who can argue?

In related news, I can't get Cubase SX to play back my MIDI. Just like your audio. It recognizes it but doesn't record or play back. Good luck to us both.
No offense, but what you say does not makes much sense. Midi is a system of communication between devices, not devices itself. In program like cubase you have midi channels that can send informations to:
- Midi out of the soundcard and then to external equipment
- VSTi's in virtual rack
- Soundfont banks in Audigy's own personal soundfont sampler
- Windows synthesizer
- VST effects that could be controled by midi

So when you say "Midi does not work" what you really want to say? What is not working?

any of you cubase gurus got anything for this:

weird. I wanna know if you can actually play through the speakers on your computer live so to speak to test the sound, as that would be cool. But mine will only work on play back?

as for the above thing... i guess he needs to hook the midi up to a vst, but it should still play default with the pinao shouldnt it!

Koen said:
Thnks for the explenation, I couldnt find it in the manuel, can you also tell me how I replace the Asio driver with my audigy driver?
On the picture you have sent there is "ASIO multimedia driver" in ASIO driver box. This actually is NOT real ASIO driver. Standard audio driver is using windows to communicate to hardware, so that's why it is more universal. Bad thing is, because there is a "middle man" time needed for flow of data is bigger and is not possible to achive low latency. So ASIO driver essentialy goes around the windows and communicates directly with the hardware. So it is up to every manufacturer to make his own ASIO driver for his audio card. In your case you have Audigy that is consumer card made for a few different purposes and is quite hard and confusing for setting up. If you get some money buy M-Audio Audiophile or EMU 0404 card, or Terratec Phase 22 or any similar low cost card made for audio work. it is not that much more money than Audigy (around 100 euros) but makes life much more easier.
So in your case, Cubase is giving you some false choices- ASIO Multimedia driver (that is not real ASIO) probably ASIO Direct X (not real asio too) And something called Audigy ASIO driver or something like that, I am no Audigy user so not really sure right now. This is what you should choose. Bad thing is that your soundcard will lockup at 48000 probably, so it will make some other problems, but that is another story.

any of you cubase gurus got anything for this:

weird. I wanna know if you can actually play through the speakers on your computer live so to speak to test the sound, as that would be cool. But mine will only work on play back?
Key to get good answer is to give a lot of informations when asking. How else could anyone really know what is problem in your case? What equipment, how connected, in what in, what settings, what driver chosen etc etc. Than maybe I or someone else can help you about it.

kk dude. Im just plugging straight into the soundcard myself, and just wondering whether i can get a guitar sound to come out through the speakers in real time. Not a major issue or anything really, it would be very handy tho, does this help anyway?

If you have just plugged in into card, (your sound will be shitty, can't help about this) you chould hear yourself anyway if soundcard in is not muted, it does not have anything to do with the cubase. Is that what you are asking? You still are not explaining what you are doing and what you want to achieve at all. If you are talking about playing thru some kind of plugin, than I have already explained what exactly to do in previous post.

EDIT: your question is bit like calling technical support and asking: My PC is not working, what to do? Naturally I guess you know that what support guy needs is that you give him detailed explanations of problem and what you are doing

Dushan S said:
If you have just plugged in into card, (your sound will be shitty, can't help about this) you chould hear yourself anyway if soundcard in is not muted, it does not have anything to do with the cubase. Is that what you are asking? You still are not explaining what you are doing and what you want to achieve at all. If you are talking about playing thru some kind of plugin, than I have already explained what exactly to do in previous post.

EDIT: your question is bit like calling technical support and asking: My PC is not working, what to do? Naturally I guess you know that what support guy needs is that you give him detailed explanations of problem and what you are doing

yep, thats it- in the first sentence :) Im hopefully getting a new sound card anyway, so that will solve the sound will be shitty bit lol. Im plugged in through the mic in at the moment, (pink) and i think line in (blue) will actually achieve make sound through the speakers, but not record! make any sense now?

Seams to me you want to use your pc as amp, is that right? And have you plugged your guitar straight in the line in, or have you something plugged in between?

Edit: If you want to use your pc as amp, do as Dashan syas, check your control panel in windows for muting

Koen said:
Seams to me you want to use your pc as amp, is that right? And have you plugged your guitar straight in the line in, or have you something plugged in between?

Edit: If you want to use your pc as amp, do as Dashan syas, check your control panel in windows for muting

ok dude! I'll have a look around for muting stuff. Hows your problem coming along?

One step further now... at least we know what is missing, and what not to choose as a sound device in cubase...

But you only get the direct X and the ASIO multimedia driver? because both are not the best choices here.. you really need to connect to the Audigy ASIO driver itself for best result, just like dushan said... is the PC all new? did you just install the soundcard? did you update the audigy driver with the latest driver update?

Koen said:
When I open the Asio driver box it only gives Asio Multimedia driver and Asio dirextX, but no audigy driver??
As the Neon Bob says... It seems that you don't have drivers installed properly.
yep, thats it- in the first sentence Im hopefully getting a new sound card anyway, so that will solve the sound will be shitty bit lol.
It is not only about the card... If card does not have dedicated instrument in that is dedicated to instruments like guitar, you need DI Box and Mic Preamp to have guitar signal come in your PC properly.
Im plugged in through the mic in at the moment, (pink) and i think line in (blue) will actually achieve make sound through the speakers, but not record! make any sense now?
There is a page in devices in Cubase (Check VST inputs, you can see it there at this screenshot) where you can choose what ins and outs are activated. It is possible to add or remove them, probably mic in is not there so you are not able to choose it. Line in is even less suitable for hooking up your guitar than mic in without the DI, your signal will be really to low.
Creative cards are bitch to set up if you are not experienced with this stuff, I know, most of the cards are very simple, just one ASIO driver, you simply choose it, chose what in and out you will use in track and that is it, ready to go.

Have in mind that card mixer and cubase are two different and independent things. Guitar you hear is routed thru card mixer, it has nothing to do with Cubase. You have to set up cubase to receive signal from the same source

Koen said:
But how do I put my Audigy driver in there? Is it on the installation cd of my soundcard?
The driver should be on the CD, but you could also check whether there's a newer version available for download from Creative's website. Once properly installed you should be able to use the native driver by choosing "Creative ASIO" from your driver list.