Help with theory

nokturnal emission

Wow! What a huge member
May 10, 2003
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
I started playing guitar about 10 months ago and I think I've gotten pretty good at playing other peoples stuff but I don't know any theory or anything, I have a guitar teacher but he's kind of a tool and doesn't really teach me anything. So, would you recommend me some books on theory or perhaps another method for me to learn it.

nokturnal emission said:
I started playing guitar about 10 months ago and I think I've gotten pretty good at playing other peoples stuff but I don't know any theory or anything, I have a guitar teacher but he's kind of a tool and doesn't really teach me anything. So, would you recommend me some books on theory or perhaps another method for me to learn it.

Ask your local schools and colleges what textbooks they use for teaching music theory. I would recommend "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer for guitar-oriented theory (as well as maintenance tips and a little history), and "The AB Guide To Music Theory" and "Music Theory In Practice" which are written for the Associated Board grades.